Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Evidence Removal Software

• Please log in to reply

Carter Hayes

Carter Hayes

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi guys, some of us are having a debate as to which evidence removal software is the best

Having read reviews on products such as evidnce elimnator and so on, they all claim to be the best etc, but then a few pages down you'll see a product that says it's alot better and so on.

What is the best forensic style evidence elimination software available on the net that actually does what it says on the tin.

Would be great to hear recommendations.

Carter

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
What exactly are you looking for? Something that will remove files stored on your computer after surfing?
When I use a public computer, or even one that is not my own, I use ATF Cleaner(which is free) to delete passwords, temp files and things that have been saved by the browser.
When a file is saved onto the hard drive, it stays there even if you delete the file in Windows, Windows just forgets the file. When you save another file onto that sector of the disk the file is generally unrecoverable.
I wouldn't be duped into buying products that are not going to do much else.

Edited by sarahw, 17 June 2007 - 12:37 PM.

Carter Hayes

Carter Hayes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hey there.

The conversation started about what he should do with his old system/hard drive and his conerns re someone recovering old files etc. The convo then went onto which software was the best for this reving everything.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Moving this topic to an appropriate location...Applications. :whistling:

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
What you need to do is physically overwrite the hard drive with new information, so that the partition tables cannot be restored. A program that will save new information onto the sectors should be used a few times. Programs like this one should overwrite all sectors with zero's leaving the information underneath it unrecoverable to most people. http://www.accessdat...spx?partno=2007

The safest way of course to ensure that the drive's contents are never recovered, is to destroy it.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi,

Doesn't cleanup have a setting that'll wipe everything clean? Crap Cleaner also has a NSA type file destruction setting in it, but I'm mot sure how to get files into it so it'll shred em. SpyBot Search & Destroy has a multi level shredder too that'll render files unrecoverable by anyone other than the C.I.A.

That's my .05¢ worth.

Wendy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
To completely erase all data on the drive(s) using Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN)

Download

Readme.txt

Bootable CD version (ISO)
OR
Bootable Floppy/USB Version (EXE - self extracting setup)

Use

Bootable CD
  • Burn the DBAN ISO file to a CD.
    NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
  • Reboot your PC with the DBAN CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    NOTE:Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device. You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • Once you have successfully booted to the DBAN disk, type

Autonuke

• Once the process is completed you may run it again as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable, but my experience shows that twice is plenty (unless you usually walk around your house in a tinfoil hat so that the government's spies cannot intrude into your thoughts and steal all of your secrets)
Bootable Floppy/USB
  • Double click the DBAN EXE file that you just downloaded to execute it
  • Choose the drive that you would like to install DBAN on (A: for a Floppy or whatever letter is assigned to your chosen USB device)
  • Press Install
  • Reboot your PC with the DBAN Floppy in the Floppy drive or your USB device attached to an open USB port.
    NOTE:Make sure the PC is set to run from the Floppy or USB device as the primary boot device. You do this by setting your PC to boot to the Floppy or USB device in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the Floppy or USB device as the first boot device)
  • Once you have successfully booted to the DBAN disk, type

Autonuke

• Once the process is completed you may run it again as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable, but my experience shows that twice is plenty (unless you usually walk around your house in a tinfoil hat so that the government's spies cannot intrude into your thoughts and steal all of your secrets)

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO LABEL YOUR DBAN DISK CLEARLY AS ACCIDENTAL USE WILL BE CATASTROPHIC!

that'll do her....running DBAN 4 or 5 times is good enough to make the drive COMPLETELY unrecoverable to all but the most dedicated thieves....the only SURE FIRE way to be absolutely sure that NOTHING can ever be recovered from a hard drive is physical destruction of the drive...and i don't mean chopping it up into little pieces...i mean total destruction...like melting the drive platters with something like thermite (while you don't need something has hot as thermite to do this...it's the coolest way to do it)

i work at an alluminum casting facility and we use "decommissioned" hard drive platters that we get from various sources to raise the levels of certain chemicals in the melt...alluminum melts at 1220.58 °F so that's hot enough to do it