Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help me ati user

• Please log in to reply

elements

elements

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi to all

I downloaded the Windows XP version of ATI mean AMD Catalyst 7.5. When I tried to install it, I passed the EULA and the Express/Custom part, and then it had the little growing bar thing with "ATI Display Setup is preparing to...". And then it had a error labeled "Severe: Setup will only run in administrator mode. Setup is aborting". I'm pretty sure my one and only account is an administrator because I've had no problems installing anything with it for the past year. What the [bleep]?

Advertisements

elements

elements

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
anyone please help....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you check 7.5 will run with your card

elements

elements

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ye i have ati 9600 pro so it should work,i think this is awindows issue not the card or the drivers

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you saved the file, restart the PC to safe mode with networking, check the modem router does not connect, try the install

elements

elements

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok i did what you told me to do but it didnt work and gave me this error

it did passed the EULA and the Express/Custom part then ....

severe:

setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system.setup will now exit.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check which version of .net framework you need, you can have 1.1 - 2.0 and 3.0 installed. If it isn't .net framework you could ask ATI support

The advice from ATI is to install the drivers which came with the card, and only update those if you have problems

I stll use the original drivers with one, and have 6.1 with another

If you have problems installing other updates

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

elements

elements

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok ok

so i did sfc /scannow part thing then i rebooted my pc and after rebooting i tryed to install the drivers and finally finally it did work!

so the sfc /scannow thing fixed everything....

thankes very very much for helping. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know