Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalling McAfee VirusScan 8

• Please log in to reply

seegoon

seegoon

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
My university made everyone install McAfee VirusScan 8 in order to use their network - but now that I'm not on their network any more and I want to get rid of this [bleep], I can't seem to shift it. Every time I delete it, it just comes back within minutes, and definitely on the next reboot. I don't know what to do.

It might also be relevant to mention that it calls itself "Network Associates VirusScan".

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Comes it totally come back as if nothing happened? Can you install applications on the computer? I've seen this before --- especially with educational institutions, where they will have a program such as DeepFreeze, which will allow you to do anything you want to the computer, but then when it restarts, all of those changes are reverted.

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
That sounds exactly like what happens - I tried to disable a LAN network connection but every time I restart, it's enabled again. Am I screwed?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, software such as DeepFreeze doesn't require an internet or network connection. Once it's installed, you can only get past it with an override password by the person who installed it. Now, I want you to look on the task bar, next to the clock. Click on the little arrow if you must (probably a couple of times, as it goes back in a few seconds) and check the programs that are running. If there's something you don't recognize, let me know. I'm thinking that they installed this software, but there's no way of telling unless we look.

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I can't see anything new. I could do a HijackThis, if that'll be relevant. I've just emailed the tech department to see what they recommend. They can't have screwed with 4000 computers and just left us to pick up the pieces, surely.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I say wait for them to reply. These programs can be distributed through the network, but like I said before, I'm not sure that this is a freeze program. See what they say.

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I just contacted them and apparently McAfee provide a tool to remove the program, but I can't find it anywhere online. Their website is a maze. Otherwise I'm going to have to cart an XPS on a 150 mile round trip, which will just suck.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Have a look at this link: http://ts.mcafeehelp...asp?docid=71525 ... The download is on that page, with some instructions. If you have questions, ask, but it looks like they covered their steps.