Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a Desktop

• Please log in to reply

Malikorx

Malikorx

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Since building a laptop seems like too much of a fuss, I've decided that a desktop will suite me just as fine. I want the desktop to be able to play the most current games, future games are a concern of course. I have not picked out any hardware or barebones yet because I am unsure of as to what the best site is to shop at. I need help in determining the hardware that will go into it as well as the case, keyboard, etc. The computer will be running Windows XP Home. Not really necessary to say but I want to make sure all hardware is 100% compatible so that I will not have any complications. Thank you in advance for any input you can provide.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Malikorx, if you want the desktop to play the most current games, then you would have to get Vista, as XP does not support DX10. You have said

future games are a concern of course

, so does this mean you knew this information already, or that you are concerned that you want your computer to be able to play future games also?

Anyway, can you give us some idea of a budget? Even if you say "cheap cheap", can you still give us some guidelines to an actual figure - are you thinking $500? $2000? It's a much easier task to help you get your best 'bang for buck' system components. Also, I really recommend that you have a look at some online retailers - I see you are in USA, so try looking at newegg.com - and choosing some parts that you think you might like. The more of an idea you can have about what parts you would prefer, then the more we can help you out.

Me, I would go Intel processor with ATI graphics, but that's my personal preference. Give us your preferences so we can get you what you want :whistling:

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Vista is not an option. I knew of the DX10 issue but I am not willing to get Vista yet in order to play those games.

I would prefer an AMD X2 processor. Budget is no more than $1200.

Edited by Malikorx, 18 June 2007 - 07:47 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You will probably want a AMD X2 6000+ and it should fit within your budget. Expect to pay $100-$130 for a AM2 socket board. With AM2 boards and their selection I would personally get a Gigabyte. I think you will get a bit more performance out of your system if you go with Intel. They overclock much better the AMDs.

Just curious, why isn't Vista an option? Vista is much better now then it was just after its release. The best websites to check out are Newegg and Tiger Direct.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you can I'd wait for AM2+. Most of the boards will support PCI2.0 and should be released mid July.
The advantage of having AM2+ is that it's future proof and will suport the new line of processors coming late in the year.
James

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
OK I found only a few parts so far, and they are for a Shuttle XPC computer. Here is what I have:

Shuttle Barebone
Wireless Adapter

Forgive me that the list isn't longer but I haven't had much time and I couldn't find a compatible processor for that Shuttle barebone. I want that barebone, or one similar to it that supports either an Intel Core 2 Duo or Dual-Core AMD. Preferably one of those or one that will provide good processing power for multitasking. Also, DDR2 RAM is preferred. Any help with additional hardware?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you want that barebone, it's going to cost you. It seems to have DDR ram (2GB @ 400MHz max) and a socket 939 AMD processor. I'm also not too sure how it would go for heat dissipation, because everything's jammed into such a small unit. The third factor I can see is the PSU will most probably need an upgrade. Lastly, I don't know how big it is, but you might not be able to fit some of the newer graphics cards in (if that is what you want to do) as size is an issue.

If it's what you want and you're prepared to put up with the limitations, then go for it. Personally, I just look at barebones and think "Why bother?"
Just my thoughts on the issue. I might have a look at some other barebones another time and see if there's something a bit more to your liking. If you find any others, please post.

Cheers :whistling:

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
RuthandTroy hit the nail on the head with his last post.

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
If Intel overclocks better, what Intel processor would you recommend? I want one that will last a long time and be able to play future games.

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I'm not too worries about overclocking so I want to go with an AMD in an AM2+ Socket. DDR2 RAM with a Video Card that has DDR3 Memory in it. I haven't looked into any of the jardware that has what I'm looking for so if someone could provide some suggestions for an AMD Processor, RAM, and Video Card that has what I'm looking for, that would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I just had a quick look on newegg, but I can't find any information on the AM2+ yet, doesn't look like it's out yet. Maybe James can tell us when, he's the dude that knows when stuff is being released. Up in post 5 he says mid-July for the board, and end-of-year for the processors.

As for RAM, just go for a good brand (OCZ, Kingston, Corsair, Crucial, Geil, Mushkin etc... any others I missed - add them guys) and don't get the "Value Series", for example Corsair have the "ValueSelect", don't go that way, pay a couple of dollars extra and go with the better (XMS2 I think) stuff. You would want minimum 667MHz speed, preferably 800 or above. You would want minimum 2GB. Here's a Mushkin brand suggestion: link

Graphics cards, go for a DX10 card anyway, even though XP Home does not support DX10. That way you are future-proofing your build. This one looks nice.

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I'm going with Vista

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah sure, that's good. The parts I suggested are well and truly Vista-ready, but you haven't commented on them. Does the RAM and graphics card suit your taste? Do you want to suggest something different that you like better (like if you prefer ATI graphics cards or something)? Also, are you still looking at barebones kits?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Depending on your budget, DX10 may not be your best bet. If you cannot afford the 8800GTS 320MB card, don't even bother getting the lower end DX10 cards as they won't be able to play DX10 with the eye candy. Once we only see DX10 games, probably 1 year or a bit more, then you can upgrade to a DX10 card. I know this is the future proof way to do it, but if you can't afford that card there just isn't any point on going DX10.

Another thing to mention if your overclocking go Intel, the E4300 or E4400 has a higher mutliplier maaking it much easier to overclock. Though it comes at a price, there is half the cache, if you really want to push it and have a overclock 24/7 your going to need to invest into a aftermarket cooler and I recommend you don't adjust the voltages. If your build becomes unstable, back off, don't add more juice to it. The main elements that kill the lifespan of your components are heat and increaded volts, normally increased volts=more heat.

James

Edited by james_8970, 02 July 2007 - 10:02 PM.

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I like the graphics card that you chose and 2GB of DDR2 is what I want. As for a barebone, I haven't had the chance to look at others yet but will post some ideas once I get the chance. My budget is $1,000 so that graphics card may not be what I want. I want to be able to play today's top-end games and then later when DX10 games come out, I'll upgrade to a DX10 graphics card. I don't think I want to invest too much money into keeping the computer cooled so overclocking is maybe not what I should go for, at least not yet. Any ideas on an AMD processor, dual-core preferably? Either an AMD dual-core or an Intel dual-core. Keep in mind I won't be overclocking.