Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a Desktop

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
For a 1000$ build I recommend the best X2 socket (AMD) processor you can buy as it has the best performance/$ currently. However bear in mind, Intel will be slashing prices on July 22nd pretty significantly. For an example the Q6600 will retail for somewhere around 266$, thats a quad cores CPU @ 2.4GHz.
James

Edited by james_8970, 03 July 2007 - 02:16 PM.

Advertisements

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Oh wow. Maybe I'll wait for the quad-core intel lol

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Remember these are only rumours, however Intel is introducing 1333FSB chips at that time and will likely shortly after phase out all current Core2duo's.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Oh wow. Maybe I'll wait for the quad-core intel lol

I wouldn't mind one of those either :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling:
The newer quads will be more interesting as it'll have a 45nm die which translates into lower power requirements, higher overclocking potential and the fact that it has a FSB of 1333, so it shouldn't become saturated, though the current FSB shouldn't become saturated either but it's hard to know whether it is or not unless your in Intel's labs.
James

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
All this good news about Intel processors...It saddens me because I prefer AMD processors. I don't suppose you have any cool news about their quads or anything, do ya?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just don't get AMD's quads. Their solution to quads right now is much worse then Intels, if you buy it, you'll likely be disappointed due to heat and price when compared to Intels offerings.

If these rumours really do come out to be true (I'm sure they will) AMD will be forced to drop thier prices as well to remain competitive, failure on their part to do so could result as a disaster on their part.

james

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Ah I see. I was looking at an ad at work today and came across a laptop that's on sale. I like what it has in it but I want to know how god the video card is that is in it. Can it run the newest PC games? And if not, what can it run? Here is the laptop and this is the tech specs of the video card that is in it.

Edited by Malikorx, 04 July 2007 - 07:06 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you looking at buying a laptop that will play newer games, probably at mid to low settings, you'll want no less then the Geforcego 7600 or ATI x1600. These cards will satisfy you, at the very least a geforcego 7300, though it will probably struggle. That geforcego 6600 is a older graphics card and will have a hard time with games today.
James