Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help finding a fan

• Please log in to reply

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I made a build a 2-3 years back. It was a asus p5gdc delux mobo and a intel 530j cpu. This cpu is great and still is very fast. However, the stock fan sucks and I haven't bothered to upgrade it. Well at a time like this..I can't find any easily with simple searches. Anyone familiar with this cpu and what kind of fan/heatsink will replace it.

I am getting very frustrated as I underclocked this 3ghz cpu to around 2ghz with no change in fan noise. The fans rotate at rpms above 3000. The cpu temp hits 68+ all the time.

I read something about a Thermalright XP-90 ...I am not sure if this fits.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have an Intel P4 630 (I think the only difference is mine has a 2meg cache, but they are both LGA775 socket), and had the same problem as you. I was sick of the fan screaming like crazy, so I managed to do a little research and found a ThermalTake Blue Orb. My computer is now so much quieter overall, and my CPU has a much lower temperature. Mine wasn't as hot as yours, but I've noticed approximately 15 - 20 degree Celcius drop! This is an awesome fan! Mind you, it's so big that I had to remove my power supply unit to fit it on! Currently my PSU is sitting on top of the case with cords going through the side - not really safe, but I've put it in a good position and don't go touching anything! :blink:

So yeah, basically go looking for a CPU fan that fits the LGA775 socket . The one you have mentioned is compatible with the LGA775, I found the webpage here. This looks quite fancy!

Cheers :whistling:

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I cannot even believe my cpu. It wasn't this bad before. When I first built it, I believe 70 was a max. I have seen this baby hit 78.

From what I have read, I understand this cpu naturally craps out heat (enormous amounts) but the fan is annoying as [bleep].

If I close my case completely, the hit builds up and the cpu temp becomes 81 easily.

I may need to invert one of my case fans so the air flow is opposite of what it was because this is killing me.

I was hoping at this point, these fans would be cheaper..they aren't.

Also, that fan looks nice...would it fit in my mobo. I believe the fans pushed in but these appear to be screwables?

Edited by neilp4453, 18 June 2007 - 01:20 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I believe 70 was a max. I have seen this baby hit 78

cpu temp becomes 81 easily.

:whistling:

Here is an awesome picture that shows how the internal air-flow of the case should work. I found it reading this article, quite interesting.

To answer your question, it probably would fit on your mobo, but it's a huge sucker and you'll need to check surrounding components. I didn't, so now my PSU has moved, as previously explained...

I believe the fans pushed in but these appear to be screwables

Not sure what you mean by this?

cathudog

cathudog

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I use a Zalman 9500 which is quite and does a great job at cooling the cpu my 945 P-D runs at 3.75 and is cool at load and at idle 31c for MB and 29C for cpu at almost 80 degrees F in room check out Zalman they make good fans

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
That heatsink is good but those temps are unrealisticly low.
Look here
http://www.anandtech...d...?i=2981&p=3
If a Intel Core 2 Duo X6800 will run 30c at 2.93GHz on that same fan, there is no way your Pentium D is running at 29c @ 3.75 unless you did some serious modding, which still wouldn`t translate into the temps you listed. The pentiium D is a rediculasly hot proc.
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 June 2007 - 07:50 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Too cool, huh? What about my processor, I just caught it napping:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol read it wrong, yeah the processors clock down when idle for a while thus becoming cooler. Now that I reread his post I see that's his idle post, thought he said load. :whistling:
James

cathudog

cathudog

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have check my temps with 4 different software and digital temp gauges and that is what they run at, believe me, I also thought they were off but they are right on the only thing I did was lap the surface of the Zalman to a mirror finish and use AS-5 with 2 case fans and a Antec SLK-3000 case . The bios on the board also reads the same temps as the Probe 2 temps and I had a P_4 and the temps were a lot hotter with that chip plus i have a P-3 that runs quite a bit warmer.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Lapping adds to the effectivness of the cooler, probably drops temps 5c, thinking about getting a new cooler and lapping it myself. That'll be a rainy day project.
James