Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard disk problem

• Please log in to reply

noor parkar

noor parkar

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi all,
i need your help.
i am having strange problem. i am using fujitsu siemens scenic machine. it was running fine. one day it was not booting...error was NTLDR missing. this error is common i solved this problem by going in Recovery console..added NTLDR AND NTDETECT.COM files to C:\. i found from recovery console that there are no boot entries in the boot file. how come. i mean how it will delete automatically.and also all data from partition D drive automatically deleted. and now it is showing the d drive is unformatted. dont you think it is strange.

i solved this problem once. but after three or four days it is showing same NTLDR is missing. with all data on D lost.
it seems that hard disk is OK. because i there is no smart status failure . SMART monitoring is enabled.

where is the problem..

need your suggestion.

thanks,
noor

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Smart status messages mean nothing. Drives are known to report via SMART that they're happy as larry when you can hear them making high-pitched dying noises from the other side of an average size office.
If files keep disappearing from the drive without you knowingly deleting them that suggests an issue with the drive.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Can you clarify or confirm a few points for me please :

1. You only have ONE physical hard drive (this drive contains 2 partitions - C & D)
2. You only have ONE operating system installed (XP), as opposed to win98 & XP, or Vista & XP for example.
3. XP is installed on the C partition. If so, then what do you use the D partition for?
4. Are you able to boot into XP at the moment?

noor parkar

noor parkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Dear,

yes , xp is in C: ., it can boot from C: only after I repair it from recovery console. again after 2 or 3 days same NTldr error. from recovery console when i viewed boot entries from command bootcfg /list..there are no entries. i am adding it again and then booting...fine...

D: is used for data. it has nothing to do with system parition. it is just extended logical drive.with data stored on it...after each rapair from recovery console, i am finding that there are no data in drive

thanks
noor

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, here's a few suggestions you may want to try :

Check that the drive cabling it is securely attached at both ends of the cable.

Check the bios for incorrect settings, especially ones relating to the drive, drive controller & overclocking etc. If in any doubt, load the bios default/fail safe settings.

From recovery console, try using the fixmbr and fixboot commands to fix any boot sector/MBR problems. You may also want to check for system file/registry corruption.

I also strongly recommend that you update your antivirus & anti-spyware programs & run a full scan over the drive.

I would also run a diagnostic over your memory - e.g memtest86+ to rule out any ram problems.

Edited by Samm, 19 June 2007 - 05:45 PM.

noor parkar

noor parkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
ok,
i tried fresh windows xp install, i found the same problem. so it rule out mbr problems as you said.and also virus related issues.
i tried using different sata cable. it was the same problem.

i will try bois tips and memory testing.....as i have these tools with me now..

second, this machine machine is in warranty...i am planning to change the hard disk..

if it all fail again.
what do you think...it is better.
thanks once again

noor
UAE

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I would check the ram or maybe mother board. It does not sound like the hard disk is the problem.
So check before you exchange the wring hardware cause it might not solve the problem