Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Taskbar Doesn't Exist

• Please log in to reply

Killi

Killi

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi guys.

So after sorting out this problem

Problems When Turning On

I have another problem which may be a result of solving the above.

No matter how many times i reboot the PC and log onto windows the taskbar (with start, running programs and icon tray) is missing.

I've tried a few suggested solutions from various sources, such as...

...trying to drag the toolbar from a hidden location of screen.
...pressing ctrl + esc which apparently resizes the taskbar to standard XP position.
...opening Task Manager and running a new task "explorer" which also apparently makes the toolbar re appear.
...i've downloaded a few programs which claim to make ressurect the taskbar, but to no avail.

Sadly, all these methods fail, so once again i turn to Geeks To Go when i'm in trouble...i can run everything using task manager, but HAVING NO TASKBAR IS JUST PLAIN ANNOYING!!

I've tried reading around the forums but all other similar topics seem to resolve around the taskbar AND the desktop icons dissapearing, however my icons are still alive and kicking :whistling:

Thanks for reading :blink:
and Thanks for any help anyone can give! :help:

.::KILLI::.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get task manager, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you will need the XP CD for this bit

Killi

Killi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks for the quick reply Keith but sadly it did'nt work :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if Tune Up will fix it, if not, run a repair install

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

Only needed if Tune Up didn't help

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Killi

Killi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Tune up didnt work, going to move on to a repair install...

What are the chances of losing any data...particularly MY Music and My Pictures, i'd hate to lose 3 years of memories.

.::KILLI::.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as the repair guide is followed, the data will be safe, however, check with the provider if any audio or video files are subject to Digital Rights Management, e.g iTunes or similar

If you see different options to those in the repair guide, exit the repair and post back

Killi

Killi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Ok...update...

I've got through the screens and everything on the repair guide, and am now on to the windows XP installation screen....should it be there?

Anyway...on this screen ive got a pop up box:

The file 'VIAAGP1.SYS' on Filter Drive Disk is needed.

Type the path where file is located and then click OK.

The box has OK and cancel options, and a browse button, but when the browse button is clicked all i can browse through is MY documents and My Computer, of which both are empty...

What do i do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click cancel, confirm you want to skip the file, post back if it wants to skip lots

You should not see anything about a format of the drive

Killi

Killi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Ok....so the repaitr install went well, and I began to download updates....however, upon rebooting the machine i now have no taskbar OR icons!!!

This is getting worse and worse :whistling:

Edited by Killi, 18 June 2007 - 01:20 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you get task manager by pressing ctrl + alt + delete keys together, click file, new task, type explorer.exe

Advertisements

Killi

Killi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Tried that already...
leads to a pop up saying windows has encountered a serious error and needs to shut down, please report this to microsoft etc...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC using the XP CD and look for a prompt to 'Press any key to boot from CD' (some systems may not ask).

Press any key on the keyboard and Windows Setup will launch

After a few minutes you will be presented with the following choices:

To setup Windows® XP now. press Enter

To Repair a Windows® XP installation using Recovery Console, press R

To quit setup without installing XP, press F3

Press R to repair the Windows® XP installation

The next screen will ask you which Windows® installation you would like to log on to. Normally the following will be listed:

1: C:\WINDOWS

Press 1 and then Enter to continue.

You may now be asked for the Administrator password. If you know this type it and press Enter. If you don't know the Administrators password it may be blank. Just press Enter

At the command prompt type:

chkdsk /r

Press Enter

Chkdsk will now check the hard drive for errors, and will attempt to repair any it finds.

This process may take a while, but when finished will go back to the same command prompt as before.

Turn off and restart the computer.

Malcolm59uk

Malcolm59uk

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Killi - I presume you have tried the Windows key and gone to Control Panel and checked Taskbar & Start Menu.

There should at least be a tick in "Keep the Taskbar on top of other Windows"

Killi

Killi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
ok tried repairing from the recovery console...no use, exept now it doesn't give me the option to boot from disk.

Killi

Killi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Still no desktop icons or taskbar :whistling:

When i boot the PC it makes a weird clicking noise and doesn't give me an option to boot from the CD.

On windows XP i have nothing...just my background image. Right clicking does nothing, as does pressing the windows key. Running explore.exe. from control pannel leads to "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Still not getting anywhere close to fixing the situation....can anyone help?