Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant access websites even though connected to net

• Please log in to reply

Leee-t

Leee-t

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there,

about a week ago i reformatted my computer after some performance issues, when i installed windows(xp sp1) and my modem drivers again i could connect to the internet without a problem...however after about 2 minutes of trouble free internet usage any page i tried came up with "this page cannot be displayed" i then thought to reformat again for some reason, this time it worked for longer and i had time to download and install ventrilo and xfire i thought that everything was going okay until i restarted, again it the internet seemed to be working fine and i had installed sp2 but sure enough i couldn't load any webpages but i could connect to ventrilo (as long as i done it as soon as i connected to the net) and stay on withhout a problem, same with xfire. I am still experiencing this problem after multiple reformats. just to clarify i am definately as far as i can see connected to the net but my browser doesnt seem to believe me, oh an i've tried different browsers with to avail.

any help would be appreciated,

Lee.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, when you open Control Panel - Internet Options, click on Connections Tab, what can you see here?

Other than that, you might want to visit the malware forum, following all the instructions on this link. It could be something that is messing with your settings and preventing your browsers from displaying pages.

EDIT: and another hearty HI THERE, welcome to Geeks to Go!

Edited by ruthandtroy, 18 June 2007 - 06:09 AM.

Leee-t

Leee-t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
in the connections tab i see my connection; with never dial a connection slected, thats about it

Edited by Leee-t, 19 June 2007 - 04:44 AM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
If you believe you have a Malware issue, please post in the Malware removal forum. Please do not post HJT logs outside that forum.

BirdieUK

BirdieUK

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Doubt its malware from after reinstalling the OS. Do you think you can repeatively download malware minutes after reinstallation?

Check your internet options?

start->cmd->ping www.google.com <-- results positive?

ps. Is it a router you are connecting to?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Do you think you can repeatively download malware minutes after reinstallation?

:whistling: I've seen it many times...

untitledfolder

untitledfolder

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've been having similar problems, I can sign on MSN Messenger and it stays on after I get it to log on, but I can only load certain websites, and sometimes those don't load again in 5 minutes but other websites will :whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I've been having similar problems, I can sign on MSN Messenger and it stays on after I get it to log on, but I can only load certain websites, and sometimes those don't load again in 5 minutes but other websites will :blink:

Hi untitledfolder, while your problem may seem similar, the underlying cause may not be. Feel free to keep watching this thread, but if you would like someone to help you, start your own thread. Cheers :whistling:

Leee-t

Leee-t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
its a modem i'm connecting to

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you try a different modem? This could rule out a number of possibilities...

Advertisements

Low Man

Low Man

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hi there,

about a week ago i reformatted my computer after some performance issues, when i installed windows(xp sp1) and my modem drivers again i could connect to the internet without a problem...however after about 2 minutes of trouble free internet usage any page i tried came up with "this page cannot be displayed" i then thought to reformat again for some reason, this time it worked for longer and i had time to download and install ventrilo and xfire i thought that everything was going okay until i restarted, again it the internet seemed to be working fine and i had installed sp2 but sure enough i couldn't load any webpages but i could connect to ventrilo (as long as i done it as soon as i connected to the net) and stay on withhout a problem, same with xfire. I am still experiencing this problem after multiple reformats. just to clarify i am definately as far as i can see connected to the net but my browser doesnt seem to believe me, oh an i've tried different browsers with to avail.

Lee.

please reformat and install SP2, Antivirus and Antispyware immediately after.
And get back here.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Hi there,

Lee.

please reformat and install SP2, Antivirus and Antispyware immediately after.
And get back here.

I don't think another reformat is necessary just yet, especially as you have recently tried it. Once the malware forum gives you the all clear, then we'll take some further steps to see what we can do.

Low Man

Low Man

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
As i can see, the problem is spreading just after he is connected to internet.
My best option is LOW LEVEL format and fresh install.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

As i can see, the problem is spreading just after he is connected to internet.
My best option is LOW LEVEL format and fresh install.

Not sure what you mean by LOW LEVEL format, but like I have previously mentioned, there is no need to go reformatting again just yet. Let's just wait and see the response about using a different modem.

Low Man

Low Man

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Heheheh. Okay. No probs.