Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

320gb hdd addon to dell dim 2400 system

• Please log in to reply

mboardman

mboardman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Im trying to add a 320gb maxtor drive to a dell dimension 2400 system. I have no trouble seeing the drive in the F2 setup, but when xp boots up I notice the desktop icons for My Computer and My Documents are missing, and the drive is NOT listed in windows explorer (Start, Explore).....xp also gave indication of finding the new drive with the small blurbs at bottom right, but not listed under My Computer.

Opening the dell I found a proprietary ide cable with only one connector for the single hdd I ordered with the system; like Dell didnt want you to upgrade by yourself. or a parts cost issue, who knows. I replaced that cable with another that had a blue connector for the mb, and the only way I could route the cable ended up making the original 80gb boot drive a secondary on the chain, so the new 320gb drive is primary. New drive has the 'cable select' jumper in place.

I tried making the new hdd a secondary slave to the dvdrw drive, same exact results as above.

Does the cable have something to do with the icons disappearing on the desktop? F2 setup utilities seem correct......

what am I missing?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go. The HDD the contains your Windows files always needs to be the master drive. Try setting your old to master and the new to slave. If your CD drive is on the same cable it should also be set to slave.