Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Pc keeps restarting after inital HP logo, then lsass.exe

• Please log in to reply

Lightgomez

Lightgomez

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I have searched and searched and only become even more confused that I was at the beginning. Here are the steps and description of my problem:

1. I have Xp Home.
2. Pc keeps rebooting itself over and over after the "HP" screen flashes.
3. I was finally able to (F10) for the split mili-second that the "HP" logo flashed and did a "System Restore".
4. Still continue to have same problem that "an application was unable to load lsass.exe.
5. Took it to "Geek Squad" at Best Buy and told me that it was my power supply.
6. Bought new power supply, installed it, and still have the same problem.
7. Talked with "Geek Squad" at Best Buy AGAIN and now they said it is my motherboard.
8. I have searced the net this morning from ANOTHER pc only to find that it doesnt seem to be any of the above.

I have read several places where I have turn on my pc and do one thing or another...but thats the problem, it just keeps restarting over and over...I cant do anything with it.

If anyone has any ideas, it will be VERY much appreciated!!!!! :whistling: :blink: :help:

Edited by Lightgomez, 18 June 2007 - 10:33 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problem that you have is the result of registry corruption and not of hardware failure. Microsoft, in article no. 307545, offer methods to repair the registry. Unfortunately these are NOT suitable for OEM windows installations (those that are preinstalled on the computer). I have no solution for you at the moment and frankly, where I live, you won't find many brand names (I am talking about desktops. I hardly deal with laptops). I write this to help you save money on unnecessary hardware replacements. I researched this problem a lot in the past but couldn't find appropriate solution other then microsoft's, which, as I said, shpuldn't be attempted on your machine.

I'll try to take the advice of other techs. Hopefully we will find a solution.

Lightgomez

Lightgomez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

The problem that you have is the result of registry corruption and not of hardware failure. Microsoft, in article no. 307545, offer methods to repair the registry. Unfortunately these are NOT suitable for OEM windows installations (those that are preinstalled on the computer). I have no solution for you at the moment and frankly, where I live, you won't find many brand names (I am talking about desktops. I hardly deal with laptops). I write this to help you save money on unnecessary hardware replacements. I researched this problem a lot in the past but couldn't find appropriate solution other then microsoft's, which, as I said, shpuldn't be attempted on your machine.

I'll try to take the advice of other techs. Hopefully we will find a solution.

But how can I even attempt to repair anything when the pc doesnt even turn on completly. It reboots after the splash screen...

Edited by Lightgomez, 18 June 2007 - 02:46 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
For any repair you will need an xp installation disk. You will have to boot to recovery console and start from there.

Since I don't want to give erronous information I called for the advice of other techs. Please be patient.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just a small interruption. Have you tried the support and troubleshooting from HP? I didn't have your HP information, but you might just give them a try on that page. If under warranty, you might try calling support, but try to get pass the first echelon of "tech helpers" as they usually don't have the expertise to answer your questions. ( HP Customer Care Page ) ( Contact HP - Customer Care Page )

Ron

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Can you boot into safe mode?

Lightgomez

Lightgomez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

For any repair you will need an xp installation disk. You will have to boot to recovery console and start from there.

Since I don't want to give erronous information I called for the advice of other techs. Please be patient.

Thank you for your help Skeptic! Sorry for being impatient, just frustrated...

Just a small interruption. Have you tried the support and troubleshooting from HP? I didn't have your HP information, but you might just give them a try on that page. If under warranty, you might try calling support, but try to get pass the first echelon of "tech helpers" as they usually don't have the expertise to answer your questions. ( HP Customer Care Page ) ( Contact HP - Customer Care Page )

Ron

Ron, no I havent tried that yet. I will do that as well. About being under warranty, it just expired a couple of months ago and I didnt realize it.

Can you boot into safe mode?

Ruthandtroy, yesterday was the closet that I got to it. It actually gave me enough time to choose "Safemode", then a couple of seconds after it was starting to boot in that mode, the pc shut down and restarted itself.

Thanks to everyone that is giving me some insight and help here!!

Edited by Lightgomez, 19 June 2007 - 06:05 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If this is still relevant:

My opinion is that you have only one option available - Destructive Recovery (an HP term) which equals to re-formatting the hard disk.

The Destructive Recovery can be performed in one of two ways:

1: Start it by tapping F10 immediately after startup.
2: Use recovery cds. If you don't have one you can buy at HP at a minimal cost.

Read this link to learn exactly how to perform the repair. There are very detailed instructions from HP.

If you want to save important data you can rig the HD of your computer as a slave to another computer and download the necessary data to the other computer's HD or to some other storage device. Re-install the HD into your computer and perform the recovery.

At the time that your data is stored on another storage device, or in the other computer's HD, before returning it to your computer, run a thorough scan with antivirus and other antimalware programs such as AVG Antispyware, Spybot and Ad-Aware.

Lightgomez

Lightgomez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If this is still relevant:

My opinion is that you have only one option available - Destructive Recovery (an HP term) which equals to re-formatting the hard disk.

The Destructive Recovery can be performed in one of two ways:

1: Start it by tapping F10 immediately after startup.
2: Use recovery cds. If you don't have one you can buy at HP at a minimal cost.

Read this link to learn exactly how to perform the repair. There are very detailed instructions from HP.

If you want to save important data you can rig the HD of your computer as a slave to another computer and download the necessary data to the other computer's HD or to some other storage device. Re-install the HD into your computer and perform the recovery.

At the time that your data is stored on another storage device, or in the other computer's HD, before returning it to your computer, run a thorough scan with antivirus and other antimalware programs such as AVG Antispyware, Spybot and Ad-Aware.

Yes, this is still very relevant. Thank you very much for all of this info and your help! I appreciate it!