Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"My Computer" loading slowly

• Please log in to reply

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello all,

Whenever I double click ' My Computer' it loads very slowly, every single time. There have been no other slow down's other than this, all my programs are running, and I disconnected all my external drives, but it still loads rather slowly. Wondering if anyone could help me out.

Thanks

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi Dreylivude, When was the last time you run disk deragmenter and disk cleanup?

go to start, then all programs, then accessories, then system tools, you find them
there.

Dwight

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I've run a defrag recently actually, on all my drives. Another issue I noticed is that windows startup is slower than usual, and for some reason I don't see the background for this site, along with Deviantart.com. The formatting is wrong in firefox, and not in internet explorer. I have no idea if these are related, but I thought I should mention them.

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Ok, so after a restart the firefox issue is solved. But I'm still having issues with the system startup, and My Computer loading slowly. I should not that it does not happen in safe mode as well.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi Dreylivude. Give this a try, Clean prefetch

Star > Run > Prefetch
Press Ctrl-A to highlight all the files
Delete them, it will ask if you are sure you
want to delete all>yes
then reboot

Allso Dreylivude you can check and see what’s running on start up
this could slow you down to if you have to much loading.

Start, run, type in, msconfig.exe, hit enter, click on
start up (this will show what program windows loads
at start up)

Dwight

Edited by Dwight, 18 June 2007 - 03:21 PM.

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I deleted the prefetch files with no effect. I still have a slow startup, and slow loading my computer window. I already have msconfig customized to not load the unnecessary services, so I don't believe it would be that.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi dreylivude, That all I have for you. Maybe someone else can help you.
Good Luck with it.

Dwight

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Thank you for your help Dwight, it's much appreciated. Worse comes to worse I'll just reload the disc image I made not that long ago.

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I believe I found the reason why my computer is acting rather strange. It seems that the cause for the slow down is my DVD drive. When I uninstalled the driver for my dvd drive, My Computer loaded faster, and the computer startup time was back to normal. However when I re-installed the driver, the problem returned.

Now, I did have my computer rebuilt a while ago, with a new motherboard. Now this motherboard only has one IDE connector, for two devices, and when I take a look inside it seems that the DVD drive is on the master connector, while the hard drive is on the slave connector. Just wondering if this would cause the issues I'm having.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
They should be on separate cables - hdd is primary master and dvd is secondary master...