Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP: Open File - Security Warning

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
I am trying to run an exe file in Windows XP and i keep getting the "Open File - Security Warning" message box saying that an unknown publisher is trying to open... and i click Run and it opens. It seems like usually i can uncheck the box that says "ask me every time" but there isnt that option, so every time i have to click run. is there a way to make this box go away???
thanks!

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi hulud. Go to start, control panel, Security Center, on the left side click on
change the way Security Center alerts me, then pick the one you want.

Dwight

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
hi Dwight,

i did this, but the option for changing the way security center alerts me is greyed out... the rest are available.

i googled, and it looks like this is due to me being joined to a domain - is there a way around it? other users are able to open the program without getting the popup box that i get.

thanks!

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi hulud, Gee not sure about this maybe one of
the Geeks can give you a hand. :whistling:

Dwight

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
thanks anyway!

anyone else? :whistling:

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Is this computer on a domain or is there any group policies being applied?

is this just a single home computer?

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
this situation is resolved. after a little googling i found a registry fix. if anyone comes up with the same problem:

Open Note Pad and copy/paste the following (including "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00"):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download]
"CheckExeSignatures"="no"
"RunInvalidSignatures"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]
"SaveZoneInformation"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]
"LowRiskFileTypes"=".zip;.rar;.nfo;.txt;.exe;.bat; .com;.cmd;.reg;.msi;.htm;.html;.gif;.bmp;.jpg;.avi ;.mpg;.mpeg;.mov;.mp3;.m3u;.wav;"

Save it with these properties:
file name: dlbuble.reg
Save as type: All files
Encoding: ANSI

Now double-click on the file you just made and merge it with your registry. You may want to make a restore point before trying this

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
one word of warning on that reg fix...that disables file checking for all of those file types...so..theres a chance that you might run something that you didn't intend to

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Is this computer on a domain or is there any group policies being applied?

is this just a single home computer?

on a domain

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

one word of warning on that reg fix...that disables file checking for all of those file types...so..theres a chance that you might run something that you didn't intend to

yeah i know... but its on a domain at a business so i won't be using anything i shouldn't be anyway :whistling: thanks for the warning.

the exe i was trying to run was a compiled report a coworker sent to me

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

yeah i know... but its on a domain at a business so i won't be using anything i shouldn't be anyway thanks for the warning.

heheh that's a pretty ludicrous statement....either you've got the best network in the world...or you're not connected to the outside world at all..

but...my warning is more for the next person who comes along and finds your instructions

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
yeah i meant that i won't be downloading any additional files other than what i am given by coworkers, which would already be approved - so nothing should be at risk there as far as im concerned. good point for other users though.