Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Motherboard Help

• Please log in to reply

MgmXT

MgmXT

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi, i'm building a new computer or rather looking at this barebones kit. It seems to have everything i've been looking for, for a nice affordable price, but i'm not sure about this motherboard that comes with the kit. I'm looking at the picture and it shows 2 PCIe slots but 1 slot is larger than the other, does this mean i can still use both for say like 2 video cards? also, because PCIe is a later technology, doesn't it make the 2 PCI slots in the picture obsolete? Here's the link:

http://www.tigerdire...p;sku=TC3J-2291

I mainly want to know if can use both PCIe slots because the bottom one looks way too small, and i wouldn't really know what goes in there, and whether those PCI slots are obsolete. Thanks for the help =D.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
PCIex16 slots are used almost entirely for video cards. The older PCI slots will have any other exansions you would need. For example TV Tuner cards, sound cards, USB cards, etc all go in a PCI slot. If you are looking to build your own computer I recommend building it from scratch. I believe that your overall result will be better along with the experience of building it.

Also if you don't plan on transporting your computer often I strongly recommend a case made of steel.

Edit: Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Edited by Titan8990, 18 June 2007 - 02:02 PM.