Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dreaded Blinking Cursor

• Please log in to reply

krisd247

krisd247

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there...I am having a problem with my Dell Dimension 8400 desktop. It all started a couple weeks ago, when I would be using Windows XP Media Center. There were times where the PC would just reboot itself out of nowhere. When it comes back up, there would be no mention of anything crashing or giving errors. I found that sort of strange, but I continued using it. I regret that big time now.
Now, when I try to turn on my desktop, it just goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. I don't even get the BIOS or Dell splash screen on my monitor, just the cursor. The system also does not even give me any beep notifications.
I tried removing all the extra pieces of hardware, and just boot it up with the video card and the hardrive....and no luck. Even tried booting up with an XP CD, but the system wouldn;t even try to touch the CD. So you can see I am a little lost as to what may be causing this problem. Any thoughts or suggestions? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try this to clear the BIOS: disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer.
Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button).
Keep it out for about 20 minutes. Reinstall in the reverse order and reboot. You will probably
get a checksome error. If you do, enter BIOS by pressing del or F2 repeatedly when starting
the computer until BIOS tables show up. Set time and date, save the new values and let the
computer boot. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS.
You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button.
Look for what key you have to press to enter setup.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Do you know your Mobo model? If you then please pos it here. Also, you can remove the battery as "The Skeptic" said or you can (if available) change a jumper setting and boot, or set a jumper, leave it for a while and the switch it back and reboot, it depends on your mobo. This could be related to a RAM issue.

-OCM770-