Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will not load, lsass.exe error, black screen

• Please log in to reply

MXN822N

MXN822N

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I have a Dell XPS M140 laptop that has been giving me a lot of trouble lately. It sustained some physical damage a few months ago and never acted right afterwards, certain programs wouldn't load correctly and some wouldn't load at all. However, it was still useable until today. I went to sleep last night after having used the computer and everything worked just fine. It wasn't in suspend mode or anything, it was just sitting there all night. All of the sudden this morning when I tried to open IE, nothing would load and it froze. I restarted hoping to fix the problem but when it went to load it got stuck on the Windows XP loading screen for about 3 minutes, then gives me an lsass.exe error prompt and then goes to a black screen with nothing on it. I have tried booting in regular mode and safe mode, both have the same result. This couldn't have come at a worse time because my summer college classes are coming to an end and access to the internet for me is absolutley vital. I need my computer to work asap so I can complete my finals and get a good grade. What could be the problem here, and what needs to be done to fix this? Oh, and just to throw an even bigger wrench into the engine here, my CD rom is also completely unusable and broken, so a reinstall of windows is impossible since the CD rom won't read CD's (the drive actually fell out of the laptop and won't work since i put it back in). If anyone has any idea what to do here I'd appreciate the help. Thanks very much.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

It sustained some physical damage a few months ago and never acted right afterwards

This does not sound good :whistling:

my CD rom is also completely unusable and broken, so a reinstall of windows is impossible since the CD rom won't read CD's (the drive actually fell out of the laptop and won't work since i put it back in)

This also does not sound good :blink: My guess is all this physical damage would void your warranty, if it still is under warranty...

Sounds like you're in a pickle, my only advice to you is this: Treat your computer with UTMOST care, when I borrowed my dad's notebook for a while, I always kept it in the padded carry case, zipped and secured when moving or not in use. When I had it sitting on the desk to use, I would always shut it down and close the screen when I wasn't using it for a little while. Also with my desktops, I usually put a little towel to cover the LCD monitors when they aren't being used either.

Oh, and if you have a few dollars, you might be able to find another cd-rom drive and replace it. If we had a working cd-rom drive it would help things greatly... Even then, if you have damaged something (most likely), then the damaged part(s) will probably need replacing.

EDIT: and WELCOME to Geeks to Go! I just noticed this was your first post...

Edited by ruthandtroy, 18 June 2007 - 07:35 PM.