Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop+Laptop+PS3

• Please log in to reply

Sublimelyoblivious

Sublimelyoblivious

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I was wondering how to connect my Desktop (xp)(which is directly connected by ethernet to a wireless dsl modem)
and a PS3 Which is also able to be directly or wirelessly connected to the modem. And my new laptop(vista), which I prefer not to plug into anything but power. I would like to print things on from my laptop on the printer connected to the desktop, and save large files to either of two external drives from both the PS3 or the Laptop. Both have memory card readers and it would be handy to keep the files all in one place, instead of spread all over the place.

Advertisements

Low Man

Low Man

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

I was wondering how to connect my Desktop (xp)(which is directly connected by ethernet to a wireless dsl modem)
and a PS3 Which is also able to be directly or wirelessly connected to the modem. And my new laptop(vista), which I prefer not to plug into anything but power. I would like to print things on from my laptop on the printer connected to the desktop, and save large files to either of two external drives from both the PS3 or the Laptop. Both have memory card readers and it would be handy to keep the files all in one place, instead of spread all over the place.

1. Setup your network and group.
2. Set all your computer pointing to one gateway IP.
3. Share the printer, add it from your other computer by doing search network printer.
4. Share folder and HDD that'll be shared. MAP the network address if needed.
5. DONE.

Sublimelyoblivious

Sublimelyoblivious

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Turns out I only needed to turn on file sharing and name the workgroup.....I thought it was much more complicated than that.
The PS3 is online fine and im not worried about file sharing.
I have yet to set up the printer properly, or need to update the driver. Doesnt want to work because the desktop is xp and the laptop is vista.....we will see.
works ok so far....still trouble shooting the printer....

Thanks Low Man, you're right on.

Edited by Sublimelyoblivious, 21 June 2007 - 12:54 PM.

Sublimelyoblivious

Sublimelyoblivious

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Ok the printer will not work. all the names are the same and it is set for sharing...
I shouldn't have to connect it to my router????should I?
I am trying to uninstall and reinstall the drivers...if that doesn't work I don't know.
I hope it does. The only thing I can think is that my Vista 32 doesn't like XP SP2 but the rest of the network works!!!!

Any more advise???????

Thanks....