Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

New system, need help!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just bought a completely new system. I don't know if it posts the specs I wrote so I will tell you exactly what I have INSTALLED, because I removed everything else that wasn't necessary. ASUS L1N64 dual socket MOBO with 2 AMD Athlon 64 FX 74 CPUs. ePower 1000w PSU. 4x1 gig corsair g skill RAM (only one installed). 1 GeForce 7950 Video card (I need the card because the MOBO doesn't have onboard video slot) 2x Hitachi Deskstar 250 gig HDDs (only one installed now) Windows xp with service pack 2. Alright, I started the system fresh, put in the windows CD, it went off without a hitch until the last part of instalation. When you get to the end of the instalation and it needs to reboot before it finishes the instalation. When it reboots, it bings me to the old "windows did not start properly" screen where I can choose to start normally, restore, safe mode, etc. If I try to start normally, it just goes into a continuous cycle right back to the same screen, but it works in safe mode. I contacted ASUS and asked if I needed a floopy drive (which I don't) to transfer the SATA drivers, but he said no because I have service pack 2. I don't understand why it will only start in safe mode, and why it wont let me progress all the way during the instalation. I have installed the drivers for the video card successfully so it's not that... any help would be appreciated because I'm going crazy. (I have also tried a crapload of BIOS configurations)

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Timosier...

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". In the configuration window, under the General tab, tick the box next to "Diagnostic Startup" and Apply the change. Reboot.

If the machine starts in the configuration, you will see a Selective Startup dialog window...this is normal. Tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

Does the machine start this way?