Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

heatsink question

• Please log in to reply

bluntknife

bluntknife

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have a intel celeron d 2.8 socket 478 processor in my old motherboard, just bought a new motherboard and fitting the processor no problems but then i found out that my old heatsink will not fit in the heatsink mount located around the processor. my question is that does it really matter if i buy a intel or AMD heatsink?

(I measured the heatsinkk mount and it is 80mm by 70mm, i was looking into buy this heatsink and fan = http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/86519, would this heatsink meet my needs?)

many thanks in advance

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
It does not matter as long as the heat sink you buy will fit properly in the new mother board you bought.
Make sure that the heat sink clips r in the same position that you have.
Post us the model of you're mother board and will try and help u decide.

bluntknife

bluntknife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok thanks for your help so far, the motherboard i have purchased is this one = http://www.ebuyer.co...uct/126187/rb/0, i would prefer if the heatsink came from ebuyer as i am also ordering a new graphics card.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Do you need only the heat sink or allso the case top that holds it in place?

bluntknife

bluntknife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
not quite sure what you mean :s i think the heatsink i was looking at comes with clips on it which are built on to the heatsink and then attach to the heatsink mount on the motherboard.

Edited by bluntknife, 19 June 2007 - 09:56 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
bluntknife - the heatsink you are looking at will NOT fit on that motherboard.
It IS possible to get heatsinks that will fit both socket A & socket 478 boards but this is not one of them! The ones that do fit both, will normally come supplied with both sets of clips.
With the heatsink you are looking at, the retention clip that comes with it will not fit on a skt478 board. Whats more, the correct retentions clips for the 478 socket will not fit on that heatsink.

Here's a link to a heatsink (supplied by Ebuyer) that will fit that motherboard.
http://www.ebuyer.co...oduct_uid=74456

Edited by Samm, 19 June 2007 - 05:55 PM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
You will also need Thermal Compound\ sticker to place between the cpu and the heat sink.
If u purchase the paste don't put too much on because it can cause it to heat up and instead of cooling by getting better contact between the cpu and the heat sink it will heat iti up.

bluntknife

bluntknife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok thanks for both of your input, to be on the safe side will order my one a was first looking at and the one to put forward samm.

mansy thanks again