Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Preventing copy\pasting of © material

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everyone,

Several months ago I ran across a blog on the Internet and when I'd tried to copy something from it it wouldn't let me.

I lost the URL to that blog so I can't show you what I'm talking about, but I'm wanting to find out what kind of an application or program does something like that. I post a lot of copyrighted stuff on a blog and I'd like to be able to apply that no copying feature to my © stuff.

Anyone have any idea as to what something like that would be called? Sure makes searching a lot easier if you know what to search for.

Thanks for any information.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
moving you to webdesign as they'll have the answer for you

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Basicly it is a bit of JavaScript that stops right clicking. Very easy to get around, just disable JavaScript. Or go File -> Save Page.

I don't really see the point in it at all.

Oh there is the other method of putting a absolute position div over the top of the whole page, but that is very easy to get around to, the save page method again.

If you do it your wasting you time.

BirdieUK

BirdieUK

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Just watermark it, its the best way. Every other method can quite easily be avoided.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I think she is talking about text as well. But yes for images, watermarking is the best way. A bit of simi transparent text across the center of the image is very hard to fix.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi dsenette, Hi Michael, Hi BirdieUK,

Thanks for the information. Yeah I did a bit of reading after I'd posted this and it seems as though it's a no win affair :whistling: . I was in reference to text documents. I really wanted to be able to find a way to lock those buggers up so no one could steal em. :blink:

I'll check out those links and see if I find anything interesting,

Thanks again.

Wendy

BirdieUK

BirdieUK

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
You could just put the text into an image then watermark it, other than that theres no stopping them from just copy and pasting.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I think you would have to be mad to use that as a solution.

But when your trying to do the imposable, crazy solutions are the best you can get :whistling:

Edited by Michael, 20 June 2007 - 05:42 AM.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Your only real solution is to physically copyright what you want copyrighted. This can get rather expensive depending on what you want to copyright.

I'm here to tell you also that the "poor mans" copyright will never hold up in court, so don't bother.

You can contact a copyright offical, fill out the legal forms and follow the steps and pay the price if you want a "true" copyright.