Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hot in here

• Please log in to reply

number.9

number.9

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
I recently bought a G-Force 8800 GTS xXx edition and fitted it in my standard bought Fujitsu Siemens case (quite small case).
Than I noticed that the cpu's temperature was rising more and more it than came to a 52C when I was playing Flat Out 2 (all settings: very High) and gpu's temperature came to a 80C.
So I decided to buy a new 80 mm case fan that could run up to 3800 RPM.
After replacing the old one and also changing some wires and removing an air tube from the CPU fan to the case exit (it was placed from one side of the case wall horizontal to the other side allmost blocking the new rear 80mm case fan)
I played again and noticed that Speedfan was giving me this:
system: 37C
CPU: 54C
AUX: 46C
HDO: 39C
HD1: 42C
Temp: 25C
but I noticed that the core (what does this stand for? Memory? my 2x 1GB Memory?) temperature had never been so heigh?
Core0: 58C
Core1: 55C
Posted Image
So there must be something bad with the airflow or something.
The new fan was working, but didn't do anything good.

So I'm not quite sure if I have to worry with these settings, Speedfan indicates a flame icon when anything reaches above 50C.
I'll try to make some pictures of the inside of the case.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It looks fine to me, if thats load. If thats idle then you may have a problem. Try using twist tyes and cleaning up your case a little to increase air flow. Graphics cards can get very hot these days and not be hurt, mine gets up to 62 but I have a good case, there are reports of the HD2900XT reaching 100oC, but I wouldn't consider that safe and those temps have to have been recorded after a overclock.
James

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

I'm not sure what core1 and core2 is because speedfan temperatures varies from mobo to mobo. You are on the hot side but not quite to the point in which your hardware in being damaged. Even with that said this should still be something you need to be concerned about. The size of your case could play a major roll in this. Adding more fans doesn't always cool better. A rear fan is essential though. Your new fan in the rear should be exausting air out. Optimal is typically one front fan blowing air in and a top and back fan exausting out. Is your CPU, by chance, a pentium 4 or pentium D?

Steps to Take:

Make sure all your fans and heatsinks are dust free.
Open up the PCI exanpansion pannel next to you video card.
Make sure that your new back fan is exausting out and if you only have one other make sure it is blowing in.
Download Everest Home and compare its temperatures to the ones in speedfan to find out what core1 and core2 is: Everest.
Use zip ties to keep PSU and other cables confined to produce better airflow.

CPU still hot? Try remounting the heatsink and apply new thermal compound.

Let us know how it works out.

number.9

number.9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Titan8990 I took those steps of cleaning and checking and also tested my pc without the case on it.
Thanks a lot for you tips this far :whistling:

I now have 3 fan's in my pc, the exit fan, cpu fan, and one little fan to the front right blowing into the hdd drives.
As you can see on the picture I used the old exit fan and placed it on the air intake holes on the case (I used this one with the first Speedfan Reading in my first topic) but I got it out during the next tests.
This extra fan was blowing air from outside into the middle of the pc and was placed right in front of the cpu fan (that is blowing air to the cpu).
but I got it out becourse I wasn't having any better results.

After cleaning the inside I tested it with the case on using Speedfan and Everest.
Here are the results:
Posted Image

Some pics of the inside:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And test results with cover removed.

Posted Image

So I hope you can give me some advise.
my processor is: intel duo core.
I did remount and clean the cpu heatsink, but I don't understand what "apply new thermal compound" means

Edited by number.9, 20 June 2007 - 06:54 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If those are idle temps I suggest you quit running your computer.
Your VGA card is WAY to hot (if thats Idle), please double check that the fan is running.
Thermal compound is a paste between the processor and heatsink that increases thermal exchange between both products thus reducing temperatures of your processor.
James

Edit: One cause of overheating VGA cards are because the are under powered, speed fan shows that your 12V rail is only giving 11.77V it'd should never go below 11.9 at the very least preferibly never under 12V. Could you give me a picture of the sticker on your power supply so I can read it's specifications.

Edited by james_8970, 20 June 2007 - 10:59 AM.

number.9

number.9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks for your responce!
what means Idle? is it when you start your pc after it has been turned off for some time and you check the bios for your health status?
If that's true, when I first start my pc themperature is MUCH lower than after about 5 minutes after windows has started up.
The results I am showing in the pictures are after playing Flat Out 2 (or anything that takes more cpu usage) for about 2 minutes.

But when the pc has started windows, and I use a video editing program that uses 60-70 % of the cpu, than the cpu temp as well as the Core0/Core1 at the same time rise to abouve 50C within 1 minute encoding.

Also all 3 fans are running without a doubt, also the videocard fan that is blowing the hottest air out the back.

there also is Thermal compound on the cpu-to-heatsink.

Link for the psu: http://www.spirecool....asp?ProdID=580
Zeno 500Watt Power SP-ATX-Z500W

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hmm you have a BTX motherboard.....
Idle means when your computer is just sitting there, not running any applications other then windows itself. Load would be when your running heavy applications such as video/photo editing or the number one case, gaming.

This is normal when you put your CPU under load, you are placing more pressure on it to do work thus causing it to heat up.

That link gave me no information on what I wanted, which is odd this it should ahve all been there. Again could you take a picture of the purple sticker on your PSU, a close up so I can read the numbers. If want to know how many amps are on your 12V rails. Regardless I think you may need to get a new PSU as it seems it cannot power the graphics card, just want one other piece of information to confirm this.
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 June 2007 - 11:27 PM.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
I have the same case, i have had heat issues from day 1! Fujitsu siemens are known for their poor cooling. My p4 was running at 45C idle and 60 under load. But i removed the air tunnel, put an exhaust fan (like you have) a 120mm fan blowing into the case by the HD's and left the holes on the side. If you start putting fans going in different directions then there will be alot of air turbulence, cause friction on the components and heatsinks. I tried the method of a fan blowing directly onto the CPU but that just made things worse, i ended up haging teh heatsink for a nice copper one with much better ratings.

My temperature redused by 15%.

just to confirm, i now have a copper heatsink, 120mm inlet fan 80m exhaust fan.

james knows his stuff and he's advise about the PSU is prob correct, my PSU was under powered for the new graphics cards

hope this helps.

Edited by glen_m_32, 21 June 2007 - 02:24 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

just to confirm, i now have a copper heatsink, 120mm inlet fan 80m exhaust fan

I'm pretty sure you should put them the other way around, so your 80mm is intake and your 120mm is exhaust...

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
I tried that way and it didn't work, because i have a massive hole in the side which is acting to equal the presure and remove almost all the dust. if it was teh otherway round i didn't get the air movement because of this hole in the side. The hole is for the old air duct system which didn't work!

i spent about 3 weeks tryin different set up and this is the most effective setup i could produce. Id i covered the hole with the smller fan as the inlet it worked well, but i couldn't keep the hole covered. i also use the 120mm fan on the front because of physical room, there is only just about room for the 80mm at teh rear of teh case!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh well, as long as it's working... I didn't say anything... :whistling:

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
lol, i know its against convention, but it seems to work, its really strange, hope it will help number.9 in their problem.

Thanks for the interesting thoughts tho mate!

number.9

number.9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
wow thanks for the reply's all :whistling:

james_8970 here is the picture of the psu:
Posted Image

glen_m_32 thanks for your reply.
So you also have the same fujitsu siemens case, could you make some pictures from it?
You tell me that you have a 120 mm van blowing to the hdd.
Did you put that in here?
Posted Image
that's quite small for an 120 mm fan, even an 80 mm fan won't fit without modification, and also there are no vent holes in the case at this place as you can see on the previous images.
So where did you placed the 120 mm fan?

After taking a closer look inside my pc, I found something behind the front face plate of the pc that looked much like the back air vent holes.
So I looked behind it and found that there where exactly 4 screw holes for an 80mm fan, but I had to remove the blue led light rail.
Than I fitted there the 80mm fan and hooked up the pc again and did some load tests, playing a few games for some minutes.
Here are the results:
Posted Image

So as you can see cpu temp is below 50C, that's much better than without the new front fan, but Core is still too much I guess.
also 12V voltage is different on Speedfan and Everest.

Here is the picture of what I did.
Someone else told me that there also is a fan that would fit inside the slot above the cardreader, Does anyone knows where to buy one?
Posted Image

So the front fan did improve the temperature of the cpu but still the Core's temperature is quite high, do you think that another front fan would improve even more, or placed somewhere else?

Another quistion: the air holes behind the back fan and the front fan that are little circles drilled out of the case (little hard to explain).
Would it be better for each fan to remove the whole allu-frame (between the fan and the outside).
Or cut out a hole that is as big as the fan itself.
well if that would be better, what tool would you recommand for the job.

Thanks,
Number.9

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
i have the Saleo T cae, i'm sure you have the Scaleo P, they are almost identicle, i am going away for the weekend, but on monday i will take pic and explain more about the setup! i have found that creating a slightly higher pressure inside the case makes the side holes useful as they act as a natural vent.

Have you still got the CPU's factory fitted heatsink and fan? these are generally rubbish and there are better ones on the market.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Your PSU is no good to run the 8800gtsxxx. That is why everything is so hot.

Change PSU to at a least 550W with 54A 12v as the 8800 Gts runs at over 120W(Antec TruPower or similar )

I have even put another 80 mm fan on the top side of the 8800 card to assist in cooling because it gets so very hot.

Cheers :whistling: