Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft System Center Essentials 2007

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
So I researched into this new Microsoft System Center Essentials 2007 (SCE) and thought I would give it a go. It was made with small to medium size business in mind. It is suppose to allow you to manage all your windows servers and desktops from a central console but not have the huge bulky utilities that enterprise versions need.
This fit perfect for me. So here I go and download it and take a fresh server 2003 computer and install SCE.
First thing it will do is a prerequistie chekc. This is very helpful to make sure you are ready for the install, it covers recommended memory, asp, iis, etc.

So I make sure all pre-reqs are complete and SCE install is happy. Next comes sql server. It says it can connect to a remote sql database to store the data but needs a local instance of sql reporting services in order to do that. Well my install will only let me install a local instance of sql express.

So I fight it, and I head over to the TechNet forums and spend approximately 2.5 weeks going back and forth with them on getting it to install on my remote sql server, frustrated but not deterred I reluctantly installed the sql express locally and moved on.

After the 1.5 hour install, SCE was ready to go. It has some nice wizards that help you get set up and started. There is no shortage of documentation as well as movies that walk you through setup and adminstration. All positive things.

I get things set up, I set up my rules for automatic updates for a couple days things are ok. Then I start realizing that even though I installed sql express locally my companies sql server services were shutting down every morning at 3 am.

I fight the problem for almost a week until I uninstall the SCE agent and bam, problems go away.

Overall Im frustrated and tired and very annoyed at how much trouble I had, and how little help I got from the microsoft "experts" in their forums.

I mean I have a microsoft server running microsoft sql with microsoft SCE and SCE shuts off the sql server every morning. Its absolutely mind blowing. Either way I know this is out there and I wanted to add my two cents in if anyone is looking into SCE.

How bout everyone else, ever had a really good experience with something???

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

microsoft "experts" in their forums.

there's your problem right there :whistling: