Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tech-savvy kids cause problems for schools

• Please log in to reply

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
When I was in grade school and High school, you didn't have to worry about crackers getting into computers to change grades - although they were maintained on computers by High School, I doubt that it was a problem for my school until the internet came along - Now, you have to be careful that the Data and the machines that it sits on will be safe and secure.

Being a School IT person is tough, but as ScHwErVe says, any one of these people worth thier salt knows that there is always a possibility of something like this occurring - the thing is, you have to always be several steps ahead of the people who try these stunts :whistling:

Brian

Advertisements

onedoller

onedoller

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Everybody at my school has their own computers....there was only one time when somebody did mess with the network and they got suspended

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Our school have some kind of a system. I guess it wouldn't be hard to hack the passwords, I'm sure they're something obvious, but I think the grading computers are on a separate network...

I did do some mischief back when I was in Elementary School (11 y/o). The Teacher Union's forum wasn't too secure to say the least, the password being 2003, and you can choose any username you want :whistling: So we looked up the admin, and made a fake post about the forum about to go down for a long time or so (hey, we were small kids, we couldn't invent anything better!). Eventually they had to explain to everyone that the forum wasn't really closing... Heh, that was funny.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I find it interesting that the Title of the article is New technology new headaces. The Technology at the schools is defenently not new. The headaces are anything but new ither. This is a age old issue.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

I find it interesting that the Title of the article is New technology new headaces. The Technology at the schools is defenently not new. The headaces are anything but new ither. This is a age old issue.

You are sure about this? You say it so matter-of-factly that I would think you were working in a school.

My school is on the cutting edge of technology. I have new servers, new software, new network infrastructure, and a new firewall. How is that definitely not new?

This is far from an "age old issue". Up until a few years ago, almost all teachers still kept their grades in paper form only. How does that even remotely compare to the digital, online gradebooks that we have now?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I am talking more based on the picture on the article. Those computers are not new.

And also I am talking in computer age.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Oh, I get it now. Rather than read the article or what was posted here, you went and looked at the picture.

Gotcha.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I scanned the article and the Picture is worth a thousand words. :whistling:

lilhawk2892

lilhawk2892

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
in this day and age.. tech savvy kids just cant be avoided.. but without the hackers.. we wouldnt have any security.. the ultimate paradox. so if a child IS able to hack there grades and what not.. i dont think punishment should be as harsh as say expulsion.. it simply shows that the network is suceptible to attacks. and to find a way to prevent these attacks

Tim'A

Tim'A

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I agree with tux master as my High Schools Computers were manufactured in the very early 21st century, the school REFUSES to upgrade to XP or VISTA and they have to stick with windows 2000 in which it can barely handle. . .(10 minute boots, very slow program loading, etc. . .) maybe if they didn't have evry Anti-Virus /Spyware etc. running all at the same time, they could do somthing, they dissabled right clicking, and have parental controls that only a 4 year old could love. It is kinda funny though, we keep finding key gens all over the network, (for office, windows,norton ,etc.)
I really don't think they needed to build a new stadium either, they could have built a new HS instead.(Over crowding, mold, asbestos, broken heaters and all that. g2g cya!

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Our school has Macs. Almost impossible to hack...