Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop won't boot

• Please log in to reply

duster41

duster41

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My laptop is unable to load winxp any longer. When I try to boot it, it just goes into a choice list, "safe mode" "normal mode" or a mode that last worked. No matter what I choose, it just reloads the same dos screen. This is my daughters computer and she did not make a backup disk or a reboot disk.
She was playing a song when it locked up, so she poped out the battery. now it wont start!!!!!!

Advertisements

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
can you run chkdsk /f from the dos screen? I will be gone for few days so others will need to continue helping you if that doesn't help. Also let them know if you have the XP operating install CD, and if you have the "Ultimated Boot Disc" CD. Needed for checking harddrive, viruses, repairs. Examples, there is a "windows media player" bug floating around and many song downloads come with problems. If those disc are needed you will need to select in BIOS to boot from the CD drive, then follow instructions given. While using them be sure to be on 110volt AC wall outlet instead of battery. Good luck and stay calm no hammers :whistling:

duster41

duster41

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no, it did not come with a XP operating install CD. Everything was preloaded. The screen has choices safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt,
last known good config. and start windows normally. know matter what you push it comes back to this screen.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Boot your machine, keep pressing f8 until you come to a screen similar to the one you are encountering but with more options, select to not reboot if a problem is encountered, once selected select your OS from the list and wait for it to boot, you should receive a BSOD (blue screen with an error code). I want you to please right down all the technical information (STOP CODE 0xsomething and maybe an error message like "IRQ_NOT_LESS_NOR_EQUAL or UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME) wright them down and post them here please.

-OCM770- P.S can you get an XP CD for your machine from a friend or someone?

duster41

duster41

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok it did not stop at a blue screen, but i saw one flash by. it tried to restart but came back to the same screen. Yes a friend may have a copy of xp.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Ok ,you saw a blue screen flash but not stay? Ok, no safe mode with command prompt? Can you reselect the option to not reboot to see the screen? when selecting Safe Mode you should see a list of files (drivers actually) loading, does it hang at one? do you even see the list?

-OCM770-

duster41

duster41

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
drivers\mup.sys

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
this is from another forum, doesn't mention other updates may need reinstalled from MS.........Crunch

copy:
Windows xp freezes at mup.sys

Here is what I did to recover my computer:
I booted with an XP Home CD and chose Install New. Then XP will search the hard drive and find that windows is already installed. It will ask you whether you would like to repair that installation or start fresh. Choose repair. Then XP will reinstall the entire operating system like it was a new installation, but doesn't wipe out your hard drive.

This process took about 35 min like installing a fresh copy does. When it is finished, you will find that when you boot up, all of your installed programs are still there and your desktop is the same as well. Now, I'd recommend backing up everything before you do something like this, because there is ALWAYS a risk that you will lose data.

Additionally, since I'm running a desktop, I turned off an option for some type of power management (APCI?) just to be on the safe side. It seems that XP would scale down the amount of power that it uses from the system, and the system would reboot from power starvation. I say this because now when XP boots, you hear the fans and hard drive spinning a full speed and when the XP load screen finishes, the computer gets quieter, but doesn't reboot.