Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NO SOUND

• Please log in to reply

marc_randles

marc_randles

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi everyone

Im new to the site and was recommend by a friend

The problem im having is that I installed Real Player One yesterday and all of a sudden I lost all sound from my pc

I then immediately uninstalled this as I thought this is what caused the problem, ive check my speakers and they are working fine as I linked them up to my Nokia N93

Checked sound and audio devices just incase anything was muted and it wasnt

Ive run my anti-virus/ad ware/spyware software and nothing was found

Ive done a system restore and that didnt work

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE

Oops forgot to say that my pc is a dell desktop (not a laptop) and the soundcard is a soundblaster audigy 2

Apologies if this is in the worng section

Edited by marc_randles, 19 June 2007 - 01:52 PM.

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Your drivers probably got corrupted, i'll get a link to your sound card driver, install them and check if there is sound, i'll be back tomorrow afternoon or as soon as i can.

Just to make sure go to Right click my computer>Properties>Hardware tab>Device manager (or first option, i'm translating from spanish)>sound,game devices, and check if there is a yellow exclamation mark on any.

-OCM770-

marc_randles

marc_randles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi

Thanks for replying

No there is no yellow exclamation marks

This is so frustrating, i feel naked with out sound n my pc lol

marc_randles

marc_randles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Im now getting an error message when I try to play any sound files which reads :-

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device, there might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly

HELP

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Have you updated the driver recently? I've found that sometimes an update is not always the best thing to do. An example would be my 8800gts graphics card, I updated it to the latest driver and dropped performance in 3Dmark06 by 400 points. I went back to the 158.18 driver and regained the lost performance. Same thing happened with my audio driver for SigmaTel, after update, no sound. I then found a driver that worked and I have no problems to this day. It works perfect. One other note make sure that you uninstall the driver and any traces in C drive programs, then reboot and install new drivers.

Edited by MarkN, 20 June 2007 - 03:36 AM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Im now getting an error message when I try to play any sound files which reads :-

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device, there might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly

HELP

This is a driver issue for sure, you need to reinstall the driver from the manufacturer, or your sound card has died.

Ok, I'm on the soundblaster webpage right now and i can't find the Soundblaster Audigy 2 on there, theres Audigy 2 NX, and others, which one is it?

-OCM770-