Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Regarding file and folder ownership

• Please log in to reply

Adebisi

Adebisi

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
An office computer went down and has to be sent out for repairs as it is under manufacturer warranty.

We needed some email from the hard drive so I popped the HDD into my external USB enclosure, opened it on my laptop, changed ownership of the outlook express store folder (had to as it was inaccessible otherwise) and got the emails out we needed.

When the computer returns, and I put this hard drive back in, what is going to happen since the ownership of some of the documents and setttings/username folder has changed?

As a precaution, I imaged the hard drive with ghost before I did any of this, but it warned of a partition table error and imaged it anyway so I am not 100 percent sure my image is reliable...

Thanks,

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I would logon as an admin and reset the permissions back to the original owner. They should be fine after that.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if anything you could just allow the original user to take ownership again...but taking ownership doesn't remove the pre-existing permissions...I.E. if userY has some files and has read/write permissions to them....and userX takes ownership...userY still should have read/write permissions...they're just no longer the owner (which gives them special permissions such as changing permissions etc)

Adebisi

Adebisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks alot.

Now, when I changed ownership, I only did it for the email store directory.

I have been trying to find her outlook express contact list so I can print it out so she has it for now. But when I search for *.wab I get nothing. I think it may be in another folder I do not have ownership of therefor it gets skipped in the search. Does this sound likely? Where should I look? I cannot seem to find anything that lists the likely location of the wab file. She does not have outlook installed so there is no standard windows address book in the control panel or in her documents and settings.

Edited by Adebisi, 19 June 2007 - 02:46 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\wab.exe <--default location

Command Line Switches for wab.exe
All of these can be run by clicking Start | Run and entering the command line as shown.

wab

Opens the default Address Book, the one used by OE

wab /?

Display this list of switches

wab /a

Opens the default Address Book in administrator mode, allowing access to all folders of all Identities. This switch is not displayed in the /? list.

wab /Open

Shows a file dialogue to select a *.wab file

wab /New

Shows a file dialogue to create a new *.wab file

wab Filename.wab

Opens the specified *.wab file

wab Folder name

Opens a file dialogue to select a *.wab file in the specified directory (folder)

Adebisi

Adebisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks, didn't know about all those switches, but none are helping me.

See I am using the source HDD in a USB enclosure on hooked up to my laptop. So when I try say "wab" to open the default address book, there is no addresses, I believe because I have not used this drive and windows session as my boot drive and session. I need to get the address book off this drive and get it working on my laptop and there appears to be no wab files on the HDD.