Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lost key

• Please log in to reply

Steph_M

Steph_M

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
So I bought a new laptop and I was refomating the hard drive on my old one so I could give it to my roomate, and stupid me started to do this before making sure I could find my book and windows key. I cant find it anywhere. I tried putting the new windows vista that I got with my new one but now the modem wont work and we need this cause we can only get dail up where we live. So my question is... How can I get a new windows key? if I call them will they give one? or will they make me buy one? or does anybody wanna give me one...? any help would be great thank you

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you looked on the case for the COA? I presume you're reinstalling XP. Some disks will install without you're having to use the actual keycode. If you've already wiped the old installation out I don't know of any way to recover the key. If it isn't wiped you can use something called the MagicJellybean Keyfinder which is free.

Steph_M

Steph_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
COA? I do need a key... and I have already wiped the old version? I found a few keys but none of them work for my old copy. this sucks...

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
how about turning the the laptop over looking for the genuine microsoft sticker with the oem product key. perhaps if you looked for the model number on the old one called the support people who made the pc ,they might could sell you a recovery cd, or help you with the product key issue, assuming you registered the computer upon purchase.

Edited by krmooo, 20 June 2007 - 01:24 AM.

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
I had lost my key for Office 2003 several months ago when I built a new computer and hard drive. I contacted microsoft, gave them my info via email and they were able to recover my lost information. Kudos to them. It helped me alot. So I would point you towards a similar path to get your key. Contact the laptop manufacturer and explain your situation, if you registered it they should have the info.

Steph_M

Steph_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I found it!!!! I looked everywhere like 100 times! and then I thought of one more place and it was there :whistling: