Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Recoving Backup data

• Please log in to reply

dragonblue1519

dragonblue1519

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm curious if it is possible to do this or not. But I just recently did a System Restore on my main C Drive. Every thing is normal and the settings got set back to default. My D Drive was left untouched during the Restore. Now my situation is that the D drive contained all my games and now the Windows Registry does not show my game data. I'm wondering if its possible to reinstall or copy the data over so I don't lose all the save data I have on my games. Or will I have to do a fresh reinstall? I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dragonblue1519...

Have you taken advantage of Vista's automatic backup feature? If you have, was the backup stored on the D: partition? If you answered yes to both of these questions, then it should be possible to put things back as they were by restoring to a backup image.

wannabe1

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,664 posts
If the answer is no, then you get to reinstall the games. This should not affect any of your save game data. However, it would be advisable to back them up first.

Depending on the game, some of them store the save game data in the "my docuements" section of your profile....

dragonblue1519

dragonblue1519

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
None of the games are in the My Documents Section and I didn't use the backup feature, the Data for the game is just on another hard drive and I want to get Windows to identify it.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,664 posts
I often install games on my second hard drive. when I reimage/reinstall the os all I have to do is reinstall the game so that the registry points are there. If you have just copied the save game files then all you should need to do is reinstall and copy those save games to the appropriate location.