Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Video Card

• Please log in to reply

Agon

Agon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I need help in upgrading a video card. I am wondering if I should wait until Christmas-time for video cards or just get one right now. I am looking to get an affordable Direct X 10 supportable video card that is less than $200 Canadian. I have an Intel core2duo. I was also wondering that due to the recent merger of ATI and AMD and their work on the crazy fast data travels from cpu to gpu might an ATI card be bad for an Intel processor or would it not matter. I do realize that as of now there are no ATI DX10 cards out there yet there are a lot of nVidia. Should I wait around for a bit and see how the ATI card compare to the nVidia ones. Since I am in canada I have come up with one website that is very good for me and close to my location and that is:

www.canadacomputers.com

I would appreciate it more if a card from that site was picked but I can get any card really since I have a Techno Trade right beside in which they can basically order anything but it might cost more. I would obviously prefer something from that site though. Anyways thanks for the help and when a card is chosen, could you give me details in why that card might be better than other current DX10 ones (it's okay you can be technical and geeky). Thx for the help guys really appreciate it.

System Specs:

Ram : 1GB DDR2 Dual Channel 667 OCZ
CPU : Intel Core2Duo E6300(1.86 Ghz)
MOBO : Asus P5L-MX
PSU : Antec SmartPower 2.0 450W ??? :whistling: LOL!

If you need any more specs just tell me. FIRST POST!!!

Edited by Agon, 19 June 2007 - 06:34 PM.

Advertisements

Low Man

Low Man

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

I need help in upgrading a video card. I am wondering if I should wait until Christmas-time for video cards or just get one right now. I am looking to get an affordable Direct X 10 supportable video card that is less than $200 Canadian. I have an Intel core2duo. I was also wondering that due to the recent merger of ATI and AMD and their work on the crazy fast data travels from cpu to gpu might an ATI card be bad for an Intel processor or would it not matter. I do realize that as of now there are no ATI DX10 cards out there yet there are a lot of nVidia. Should I wait around for a bit and see how the ATI card compare to the nVidia ones. Since I am in canada I have come up with one website that is very good for me and close to my location and that is:

www.canadacomputers.com

I would appreciate it more if a card from that site was picked but I can get any card really since I have a Techno Trade right beside in which they can basically order anything but it might cost more. I would obviously prefer something from that site though. Anyways thanks for the help and when a card is chosen, could you give me details in why that card might be better than other current DX10 ones (it's okay you can be technical and geeky). Thx for the help guys really appreciate it.

System Specs:

Ram : 1GB DDR2 Dual Channel 667 OCZ
CPU : Intel Core2Duo E6300(1.86 Ghz)
MOBO : Asus P5L-MX
PSU : Antec SmartPower 2.0 450W ??? :whistling: LOL!

If you need any more specs just tell me. FIRST POST!!!

Get 2Gigs of ram.
MOBO ASUS will be fine
PSU, try TAGAN or something delivers PURE of min 600watt
VGA, find any Nvidia that supports SLI in GT code number.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello and welcome to geeksto go.

VGA, find any Nvidia that supports SLI in GT code number.

SLI is only for the very high end or people that have serious money to burn, there is no point in paying double the money for 30% of a performance gain, the 8500 and 8600 models are junk.

There is a ATI DX10 card out, its 450$, the budget-mid range are coming out in mid July.
No, ATI's cards will work just as well with Intel as it would with AMD, this may change next year because Intel is entering the graphics card department, but for now neither are competing, matter of a fact Intel support ATI more then Nvidia as Nvidia has denided Intel technology for the motherboard chipsets forcing them to work with thier competitor for now.
If you can't spend more then 200$ wait till christmas time, save up, because your going to need both a new PSU and a GPU. Current sub 200$ cards won't run DX10 gaming worth a darn at all, people are reporting frame rates below 15FPS, though I don't know what settings they were gaming at. Also newer and better cards will be out then forcing current ones down, if you can wait I suggest it, because 200$ simply isn't enough for the future when it comes to graphics cards, not to meniton the additional costs associated with the purchase of a PSU. I can't recommend anything below the 8800GTS 320MB as this point in time for DX10 cards.

I'm canadian as well, I suggest taking a loot at these sites, they offer free shipping every now and then.
www.directcanada.com
www.NCIX.com
www.anitec.ca

James

Edited by james_8970, 20 June 2007 - 11:10 AM.