Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ide drives not found

• Please log in to reply

smmalis

smmalis

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
When I boot up I get an error message from my motherboard saying that it can't see any hard drives to boot from. In the BIOS it doesn't see my hard drive or the two CD drives. I have reseated all cables twice, to no avail. Any ideas?

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Is this a new build or a computer that has been running fine up until now?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Do they get power? Do the cd/dvd open?

Can you give us more specs on the computer? Make/Disks....

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
The computer is a dell and has been running fine until now. In fact, it is running fine now. I can't make the problem happen again, but if there is a problem I would rather fix it now, then later.

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
And now it's not working again. WHAT IS GOING ON!?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Could be bad cables or maybe the mobo is loose in the case, Ive seen those happen before.

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
The cables aren't bad, I've replaced them. And the mobo seems sturdy as well. Could the IDE controller be failing? If so, how would I fix it?

Edited by smmalis, 21 June 2007 - 01:00 PM.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If it is, the IDE controller is built into the board, but Ive seen PCI IDE controllers. That would be that fix if that was the problem.

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Is there any way of testing it? I want to be 100% sure of the problem before spending money.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I do not know of a way to test that without a card. I understand not wanting to spend money and have it not be the problem. Im kinda stumped at this point to be honest.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
What model number is your Dell? You should be able to download Hard drive diagnostic software and run that to eliminate the hard drive being the problem. That is if you can either get this pc to work again or download it on another computer and save it to a floppy disk. That is also if you have a floppy disk drive on your Dell.

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I'm pretty sure that it isn't the hard drive anyway because either the hard drive and both cd drives go missing, or they all show up. Its all or nothing, no in between.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Yeah, sorry I didn't see that in your first post. It pretty much leaves both of the IDE controllers gone bad. I have had two in the past month do the same thing, a 2400 and a 3000.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I don't know of any way to diagnose the ide controler but if u want a different solution u can purchase a pci to ide card and then this card will b you're ide controler the only thing is it usually only has 2 ide connections.
Does you'r dell have a plce to connect an ATA disk?
Is there a chance you can post the specs of the computer it might help us to thing of other ideas. If u don't know what they r then download everest here and it will give the infomation.