Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

totour trojan

• Please log in to reply

beastfu

beastfu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I'm new here and my computer programming brother is being a jerk so I got some questions for you guys since he won't help me.
My dell laptop with windows xp was infected with the totour trojan, and i already battled it with various methods that don't seem to work. (hdfix, hjt, etc.). despite all my efforts, my avast antivirus keeps finding it when i reboot. So I decided that the best way to deal with this is just to clean out the whole hard drive. My questions for you guys are:

1. will cleaning out the hard drive get rid of it 100%?

2. if i back up my files (documents, photos, etc.) to transfer to another laptop i have, will i run the risk of putting totour on it or will avast or whatever i use to scan the media before loading it be safe?

3. is cleaning out the hard drive the best way to deal with backdoor viruses especially totour? I really don't want to worry about personal info even if it's "cleaned" by other methods.

Thanks in advance for any answers you guys provide-beastfu

Advertisements

OldTimer

OldTimer

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 3,273 posts
Hello beastfu and welcome to the G2G HijackThis forum. Backing up an infected system does run the risk of backing up an infection too. Let's first see if we can find out what's in there.

Download WinPFind3u.exe to your Desktop and double-click on it to extract the files. It will create a folder named WinPFind3u on your desktop.

Note: You must be logged on to the system with an account that has Administrator privileges to run this program.
  • Close ALL OTHER PROGRAMS.
  • Open the WinPFind3u folder and double-click on WinPFind3U.exe to start the program.
  • In the Driver Services section click on Non-Microsoft.
  • Under Additional Scans click the checkboxes in front of the following items to select them:

• Reg - Desktop Components
      Reg - Disabled MS Config Items
      Reg - Security Settings
      File - Additional Folder Scans
  • Do not change any other settings.
  • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
  • Let it run unhindered until it finishes.
  • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
  • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.
Use the Add Reply button and Copy/Paste the information back here. I will review it when it comes in.

If, after posting, the last line is not < End of Report > then the log is too big to fit into a single post and you will need to split it into multiple posts.

Cheers.

OT