Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Help

• Please log in to reply

veggirl

veggirl

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My internal DVD drive is broken and I cannot afford a new one right now. Is it possible to hook up a normal (for a tv) dvd player to my laptop? I have a Dell Inspiron 1000. I cannot find anything about that online.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi veggirl...

What makes you say the DVD drive is broken? Can you describe the problem you are having with it in a little more detail?

So far as I know, most home DVD Players will not connect to a computer.

wannabe1

veggirl

veggirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
A few months ago it started being picky about the quality of dvds it would play, but very sporadically. It's gotten to the point now that it won't play any dvds, except high-quality, and even then, only for a few minutes. I reinstalled everything on my hard drive and am still unable to play dvds. It does recognize every other type of disc, however.
Any ideas?

UBER

UBER

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
How old is your laptop?

-UBER

Edited by UBER, 19 June 2007 - 11:48 PM.

veggirl

veggirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
3 years

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
dell inspiron 1000 try this link pertaining to your particular dell. updating your b i o s is always a good first start. look for your brand of d v d player see what dell has concerning updates for your laptop.

UBER

UBER

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Oh, then it isn't a new drive. There is a few ways to hook up a DVD player to a moniter, but I would just save up the funds as it is not too expensive for a new drive and would be a lot more convenient.

-UBER

Edited by UBER, 20 June 2007 - 12:08 AM.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
a 3 year old computer isnt prehistoric, maybe some system upgrades couldnt hurt. i went to the dell web site and found 2 pages of fixes and patches an general upgrades for your particular model. i dont think it would hurt to have a look. there might be new life waiting for your d v d player at the bottom of page 1 :whistling:

Edited by krmooo, 20 June 2007 - 01:45 AM.

veggirl

veggirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have upgraded my BIOS and my video adapter. The problem remains. Any other suggestions?