Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have a dumb Question re: Connection Icon

• Please log in to reply

hoodoo

hoodoo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,
This is prob. real dumb, but maybe someone can help...
Am new at connecting online with DSL & Netcard... Learned a little about how to do so with Win2000, but now with Win98 machine, I cannot find any way to get the little icon (it looks like two blue-green monitors connecting & lighting up when you get online & send/receive data) that I got accustomed to while learning on a Win2000 machine.

I have searched high & low, trying to find the "path" that will lead to the Realtek 8139 netcard in order to be able to associate that command/path with an ICON, so that I can click on it to log onto the network and click it to log off. As it now is, I have only a temporary Firewall that I tell to STOP ALL TRAFFIC in order to get off the Net.

Hope my question/dilemma is clear and someone can help me figure out how to get an ICON on a Win98se system so that I can choose when to log on and when to log off, instead of having to turn off the DSL router by hand.

Thanks if you can help!

:-)

PS Does it sound like my Network might not be entirely installed properly, or is that little icon NOT available in Win98, or what??
I have the following under Network: Realtek 8139 NIC and TCP/IP entries (there are two for each).

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Under Windows 98 you should find the option in the properties of the connection in the Dial-up Networking folder to show an icon in the taskbar when connected, assuming you're using a modem.

If you're using a network card, there is no built-in support in 98 for showing a network activity icon in the taskbar for an ethernet connection like there is dial-up. You need some separate software.