Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sfc /scannow/windows file protection needs disc

• Please log in to reply

syb388

syb388

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I ran sfc /scannow but I need the Windows XP disc to complete repairs.
I'm using a dell which came with a preloaded Win. XP media edition, and no disc, I'm pretty sure C:\i386 has everything I need but I have no idea as how to use it.
I found a fix for windows 2000
http://support.micro...kb/222193/en-us
which will allow you to select the C:\i386 folder instead of an actual disc, but I cant find anything for XP specifically, should I try it anyway?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you look at the bottom of that article..you'll see that it applies to XP as well

syb388

syb388

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
thanks, I'll try it right away.
Can't believe I missed that. :whistling:

syb388

syb388

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I actually pasted the wrong link above
below is the correct link
http://support.micro....com/kb/222473/
this fix is meant for win 2000, I checked the registry keys anyway and they were all pointed to C:\ where my i1386 is located but windows file protection still asks for the disc without even looking in i1386.

syb388

syb388

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I just realised it's asking me to insert windows xp pro
and if I click on more info it says

possible reasons for this problem
you have inserted the wrong cd (i.e a different windoes product cd than the original installed)
or the cd-rom drive in your system isn't fuctioning

I'm running win. xp media edition which came pre-installed on my dell e1405
why is it asking for XP pro??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
media center isn't actually an OS...it's a program overlay for xp pro...which is why it's asking for that disk...i'm gonna assume that you don't have an actual windows disk handy...if your dll cache is messed up or something in the i386 folder is messed up...then SFC MUST have the cd to fix the issue

syb388

syb388

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I'm assuming that dll cache is messed up because there was less than 600 mb free at the time (someone was using my laptop and let it reach a point of only 34 mb free) and WFP stops populating the Dllcache folder when less than 600 mb, but could that also corrupt the i386 folder??

I tried re-installing Srchasst.inf and some of the files couldn't be found in the i386 folder and I was prompted to insert the win xp service pack 2 disc, does this mean that the i386 is corrupt or just needs to be updated? Is there any way to fix this without the disc because it never came with one and the cd drive isnt even working, my whole pc is messed up now as you can see in the below thread.
http://www.geekstogo...ng-t161632.html
Is their anyway of determining if the i386 is really corrupt, because if it is then I cant even use dell diags to reinstall from scratch (i think).
thanks

btw if i try to open NIS or NSW I get a IE script error even though I'm not using IE and Windows update isn't working either, I'm in a pretty bad situation here, it seems i need a disc (which I dont have) to fix my computer when my cd drive isnt even working, somewhat of a catch 22.

Edited by syb388, 20 June 2007 - 12:29 PM.