Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CamStudio records only sound

• Please log in to reply

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I purchased (yes purchased, I'm not trying to steal as I own it 100%) a movie on Amazon a few days ago on my HP ze4800 notebook and would really like to watch it on my iMac (much larger screen, better sound, doesn't run hot) but can't because the wonderful folks at Microsoft don't support WMP for Mac and therefore no files which use WMP DRM will work on anything but windows. I downloaded and tried using CamStudio (http://www.camstudio.org/) to "capture" the movie, save it as a WMV file without DRM and then transfer it to my Mac via my iPod to watch in bliss. However, CamStudio only captures the sound of the movie and doesn't where the video should be there's just a black box. It's like when you do a print screen of a video in WMP and then paste it into a program like Paint. Everything is there except for the video (if that makes any sense to anyone else). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

In case it is needed, I've uploaded my system info - Attached File  systeminfo.txt   249.85KB   471 downloads

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's kind of how DRM and WMP work.....if they allowed you to take screenshots and video captures of the movie from a player..then DRM would have no purpose would it? it's like taking a video camera to the movie theater....

pccromeo

pccromeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Yeah DRM is a major pain in my [bleep]. Especially if the software required to play the media isn't available across all platforms. I have Googled the topic over and over and over again but this is the only solution most people have! Short of altering the file its self, but I don't want to risk damaging that. iShowU, a "video capture" program for Mac OS X doesn't give me any problems, but ya know, would Windows be Windows if it DIDN'T do everything [bleep] backwards??!

pccromeo

pccromeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well as it turns out, all I had to do was turn off the video accelearation or hardware accleration or something like that in WMP. I should've known as I've had to do that many times in the past.