Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SoundMAX annoying issue! Help!

• Please log in to reply

i.God

i.God

• Pip
  • 1 posts
SoundMAX annoying issue! Help!

My motherboard is ASUS M2NPV-VM and the onboard sound driver is SoundMAX (version: 5.10.1.6110 1/16/2007) The problem is that the sound skips whenever a FMV or a cinematic is playing in a computer game. So the video will play fine, but the audio will skip and be out of sync.

This only happens when there are FMVs or cinematics in a computer game. Some examples would be Emperor: Battle For Dune, Splinter Cell, Medieval II: Total war.

My specs:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ (2.3 GHz)
1 Gig Ram
3D Fuzion Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT

I tried updating and rerolling the SoundMax drivers, but it still happens! Is it possible to change my onboard sound? Please offer any solutions to try to fix this problem.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You can't change the on-board sound chip but you can disable it in the BIOS settings and fit your own choice of sound-card in a spare PCI slot.
However, doing that would only resolve the problem if it is caused by your existing sound-chip and/or it's driver. If it's caused by something else you may find you've bought a new sound-card only to have the same problem as before. It's your call.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One of the recent Windows updates affected Sound Max drivers. They have since issued a fix. You may want to check your updates.