Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

getting data off raid drives

• Please log in to reply

robsmith

robsmith

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I have a lacie 1TB external hard drive that is actually a RAID 0 system of four 250GB ATA drives. The drive has a lot of data on it, but I am not able to get it working via either USB or Firewire. I am pretty certain that all the data is intact on the drives, so I would like to get it off them. I have taken the drive apart and was planning on buying an external enclosure for these hard drives and getting the data off of them that way. I know that since this is a RAID, my data spans across all 4 drives. I am wondering if there is any way, after I get all the data off all 4 drives, to combine it into some readable format?? Any help is appreciated. Maybe I am not going about this the right way, but I know that there must be some way to get my data off these RAID drives since I am confident that it is only the external enclosure that is broken.

Thanks.

-Justin

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't think that's gonna work....raid can span the drives and still function as one drive because the raid controller is able to create a partition table that spans the drives and controlls the way the data is placed across the drives...i think putting the drives into a different inclosure...either on their own...or maybe even in the same model of enclosure...would destroy the raid array and corrupt the data....you MIGHT need to contact a proffessional data recovery company (not cheap)....i'd suggest y ou get intouch with the manufacturers of the enclosure that's failed and see what they say to do