Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zone alarm pop up "True Vector has shut down"

• Please log in to reply

TheWern

TheWern

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi All,

I saw that a G2G member aalyah had the same problem back in early May this yr - but there were no replies, I hope you can help now.
Two weeks ago I upgraded to the new version of Zone Alarm, and since then I am plagued 2-3 times per day with this problem. A message pops up saying:-
MICROSOFT VISUAL C ++ RUNTIME LIBRARY
x RUNTIME ERROR !
PROGRAM:C\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
The application has requested the Runtime to terminatein an unusual way.
Please contact the applications support team for more information.
OK

Unfortunately, when you get this error, you have lost all contact with the internet and can only get back online by rebooting completely.
I had a look through Zone Labs site and the y reccomend:- http://www2.nohold.n...orruptlogs.html

If you are running Windows 95/98/Me/XP/2000, reboot your system into Safe Mode. Your OS determines the method, but normally pressing F8 at the beep, or holding the control key during bootup, will work. For more information on rebooting in Safe Mode, click Start, then Help. Click the Search tab, and type in "Safe Mode". Double- click "Start Windows in Safe Mode" for the instructions.
Open the Internet Logs directory (in 9x*TheWern this will be "c:\windows\internet logs", in NT/2000 it will be c:\winnt\internet logs, in Windows XP it could be either of these folders).
Delete all files that have the extension .RDB, .LDB, or TMP. Empty your Recycle Bin. Reboot your system.

This has not solved the problem. As it is the free version, you cant ask their Tech assist.
I have tried to uninstall it but it wont let me. It says that True Vector... cant be uninstalled as in use.
I have also tried to delete True Vecto from C:\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe\exe-services The vsmon.exe wont let me delete it for the same reason as above, "it is in use". There are no other programmes running and ZA was turned off.

Can anyone please help me.

Thanks,

Sandy

Edited by TheWern, 23 June 2007 - 01:18 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
its been a while since i had to do a manual uninstall, however it isn't out of the ordinary to do this.

Basic uninstall
To uninistall ZoneAlarm:
1. In the ZoneAlarm Control Center, go to the Preferences tab of the Overview panel.
2. Clear the check box labeled Load ZoneAlarm at startup.
3. Restart your computer.
4. In the Windows start menu, go to Start | Programs | Zone Labs.
5. Click Uninstall ZoneAlarm.
6. During the uninstallation process, you will see a dialog box titled This is a security check
from the Zone Labs security engine. Click Yes in this dialog box.

To manually uninstall please see this pdf: http://download.zone...f/za31_help.pdf
under "troubleshooting" look for manual uninstall.

TheWern

TheWern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks Starjax, that did the trick.

The bit I missed was "2. Clear the check box labeled Load ZoneAlarm at startup. ". Once that was done it uninstalled properly and re-installing it sorted out the problem.

Thanks again,

Sandy

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Fantastic!