Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer starts up but will not "boot"

• Please log in to reply

anxiety

anxiety

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok first let me tell u the specs.. The pc is custom made, 3.0 ghz , 3 gig ddr ram, 7800 nvidia card, windows xp... The computer has been running fine for about a year now and one day it started (the fans etc seem to get power and I hear the pc running but the mouse and keyboard dont get any power and there is no bootup on the monitor... I messed around with my computer for a bit and then found that if I took all 3 of my ram sticks out and put them back in the computer would THEN boot.. I had to do this about 100 times inteh past couple of months (power outages etc really tick me off lol), but today I removed the ram 2 times and replaced it and it just wont boot.. It starts fine but its getting to the point I need help.. It seems when it does boot though it says "cpu has been changed etc etc go into bios blah blah" I dont understand that msg and I just f1 to continue without touching it.. When it does boot after I replace the ram it runs fine for days on end with no problem? Can anyone help me? thx...

Advertisements

Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

It seems when it does boot though it says "cpu has been changed etc etc go into bios blah blah" I dont understand that msg and I just f1 to continue without touching it.

A change of BIOS battery might help as it seems it's not keeping the settings. Also a really dead battery will mean that your PC will not boot

anxiety

anxiety

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok, so I'll have to buy a new one? Are they expensive or anything? It was weird, the computer ran fine for a year and 1/2 then all of a sudden it didnt boot so I messed aorund and took the ram out and put it back in and it would boot and run fine until a storm would surge and shut it off.. at that point I had to take the ram out and put it back in..this went fine for baout 4 months and now its not even booting when I do that.. As I said everything seems tog et power besides the mouse and keyboard and theres no boot.. thanks