Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best defrag / Vista optimizer or tweeker

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Just wondering if I could boost my computer, that runs Vista, with a better defrag or Vista optimizer/tweaker. I know there are tutorials on how to disable certain things in Vista to make it faster but I am too lazy to read through those long things and might not even notice a difference. I know there are many different defragers out there but which one is the best?

Advertisements

arborman

arborman

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
IMO, the best defragger for vista in terms of stability, performance and features is Diskeeper. They have 2 versions which run on vista - Pro and Pro Premier. I currently use the Pro version on my Vista Business laptop and am really happy with the software. It can defrag system files, MFT, multiple drives simultaneously, and more importantly, I can leave it on in the background in the automatic defrag mode. It hardly takes up any CPU cycles even when in this mode. Far, far better than the built-in vista defrag utility. They have free trial versions for both pro and Pro Premier at www.diskeeper.com if you want.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I recommend Power defragmenter. It works great with Vista and it's free. It doesnt have the blocks like it does in XP, but at least you can see whats going on. Its also very very fast and I've been using it for a while. Here's the link, with a tutorial: Power Defrag

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Does it compress things together on to one side of the disc like diskeeper does?

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I think so.. It's not a fancy defragmenter, but it clusters files together at least..

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Perfectdisk 8.0 is the best, and I tried them all. http://www.perfectdi...CFRIXZAodCBqJiA And for about $40 you can get a 2-4gig high speed USB flash drive to use for Vista's "ReadyBoost."

Edited by MarkN, 26 June 2007 - 04:27 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Ready boost is not as great as it seems, at least for me. I already have 2 gigs and I really don't use much more then that. I am not an expert on it but I think that it slows my performance, being that I already have enough RAM. And Mark can you really see a big difference between all of them?

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
I wouldn't say it's a "big" difference. Barely noticeable, but it helps. I can't remember what site I was on, OCZ's, I think. But it had recommended RAM amounts for a number of configurations and applications. Vista takes nearly a Gig, I play alot of BF2 and they recommended 2Gigs for that. I don't know if they meant 2 Gigs including the running processes on Vista or not. They did not specify. And I agree that you can have to much RAM, so I tested different RAM amounts with the 3DMark06 benchmark and 3 Gig seems to be the "sweet" spot for my computer. Obviously, everyone elses needs vary. I'm sorry it was Crucial's website. http://www.crucial.c...ary/howmuch.asp

Edited by MarkN, 26 June 2007 - 07:13 PM.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
If your thinking about a vista optimizer, tuneup utilities is a great one. Unfortunately, it costs some money, but has a 30 day trial i believe.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I don't see anything special about TuneUp Utilities. I can get all that it offers for free.

Advertisements

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
well nowadays.. there are billions of open source programs that do everything... but tuneup basically combines everything and has speciall things like reg defrags and internet/system optimizers. If you want a freebie, theres an Iobit Advanced WindowsCare Personal which also does some good.

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

• Pip
  • 5 posts
In case it matters to anyone, Diskeeper Corp. is a Scientology front.

~~ Paul

Edited by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos, 01 July 2007 - 09:52 AM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

In case it matters to anyone, Diskeeper Corp. is a Scientology front.

~~ Paul

What exactly does that mean?

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, front is probably too strong a word. The CEO of Diskeeper is active in Scientology and has donated huge sums to the organization. The employees are most likely urged to become Scientologists. The company has at least once refused technical support to pharmaceutical manufacturers. You can read an interesting thread on it here:

http://forums.randi....ead.php?t=86231

~~ Paul

arborman

arborman

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'd never heard of this "scientology" until you mentioned it. I just checked wikipedia briefly, and it appears to be a recently established religion. I am curious as to why the religious beliefs of the CEO have anything to do with the software the company makes?

What is important is how well the product performs. If it sucks, dont' buy it.

It is, ofcourse every individual's choice whether to boycott a product or not, for political or religious reasons. But, if you apply that criterion uniformly, then we cannot buy most of the stuff essential for a modern lifestyle....gas (comes from regimes that support terrorist movements), commercial goods (chinese slave labor factories), drugs (unethical and greedy pharamaceutical companies) etc etc. There is no end to it...

So what is your point?