Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating system installation

• Please log in to reply

ncboy

ncboy

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I thought I had the serial key for 2000 pro and didn't. 2000pro was installed except for the key and it won't allow me to format drive,fdisk, re-install or do anything. Can you help?

thanks

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
without the product key i think i'd be leavin stuff alone :whistling: those are some mighty powerfull commands to be using without the product key

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you just want to completely wipe the disk so you can install some operating system download DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) to a floppy or CD and use it to write the drive to zeros. Then you can install anything you like.

ncboy

ncboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I dwnled and booted up and nothing but the same. I can set the bios to boot in all or 1 or 2 but no way does it work. Any more sugggestions?

ncboy

ncboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Can anyone figure this out?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I can set the bios to boot in all or 1 or 2 but no way does it work. Any more sugggestions?

What do you mean by this? You need to set the BIOS (look for a menu called something like Boot Order Priority) so that your floppy/optical drive boots before the hard drive. Then reboot your computer with the DBAN cd in to format it.

ncboy

ncboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That's what I did and still nothing.

ncboy

ncboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Thanks again

ncboy

ncboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have not solved my problem and would appreciate additional help.

Thanks

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I thought I had the serial key for 2000 pro and didn't. 2000pro was installed except for the key and it won't allow me to format drive,fdisk, re-install or do anything.

What does this mean? I am confused.
Do you have an operating system installed?
Is 2000pro installed? and running?
Can you not get 2000pro installed because you need the cd key?
Why are you wanting to reformat and do Fdisk? Is this so you can install 2000pro? You will still need the cd key.

ncboy

ncboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I figured out it was probably a bad floppy. Now I'm trying to format c and install the OS.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
OK, I get it now. You want help, but you are not willing to answer the questions asked. Therefore, we have no direction to be able to assist you.

ncboy

ncboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You're incorrect. I answered as weel as I knew and tried everything that was put on this board. If thtat is the way it looks, I apologize and mever meant to come off that way.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Alright sorry, took the weekend off (I usually do). Where are we up to? ncboy, can you please describe exactly what happens now when you turn on your computer. List all screens (for example: POST > error message (no operating system)) or whatever else happens. As I understand it, you are trying to completely format the hard drive so you can start again. You have a Win 2000 disc but no product key, right? If that's the case, then we can't help you try and install that. If you know you had one, go searching and find the book with sticker or whatever, then we can help you.

Just to recap - describe what's happening now, and then describe what you want your computer to do (future).

Cheers :whistling:

ncboy

ncboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I had a software installation hang up because I had the wrong password. I was trying to load a version of Windows.

The problem must have been my boot disk. I tried several b4 it worked; allowed me to format and install the OS.

All is working well and thanks for the help.