Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choosing a motherboard

• Please log in to reply

bjg222

bjg222

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, so I'm new to overclocking. I've done a ton of research lately into choosing the right components, and I seem to have seen a consensus that Asus and Gigabyte are the best bands for overclocking. Is this accurate? I've looked at my options and narrowed it down to the following favorites:

Asus P5K3 Deluxe WiFi
Asus Striker Extreme
Gigabyte P35-DS3P

However, one (maybe two) of these says it is CrossFire ready, and I had planned on using one of the new GeForce graphics cards. Will this be a problem? Do I need to go with one that is specifically Nvidia compatible? I've also considered these motherboards:

Asus P5W DH-Deluxe WiFi
Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi-AP
Asus Commando
Asus P5B Premium Vista Edition
Asus P5NT-WS nForce 680I
Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4
Gigabyte P35C-DS3R

What's my best option?

Thanks
Billy

Edit: Sorry, didn't think to add other specs first time around. Here's what other components I'm thinking about:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6320 or 6420
GPU: nvida GeForce 8xxx
RAM: 4 GB, don't know brand or speed yet
Not sure about power source/heat sink yet

Edited by bjg222, 21 June 2007 - 08:11 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Unless you need the onboard WiFi I would stay away from the boards that offer it because it usually jacks the price a good $70 or more. I have always heard bad things about ASUS boards. I like the Gigabytes personally. If I had to pick from that list it would be the Gigabyte P35C-DS3R though the P35-DS3P would do just as well. The P35C-DS3R will support DDR3 RAM for when it becomes reasonably priced. EVGA also makes nice overclockers.

Edited by Titan8990, 20 June 2007 - 10:29 PM.