Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP: C0000218 \SystemRoot\System32\congif\softwar

• Please log in to reply

Zoki

Zoki

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi.
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 with Windows XP Media Center 2005 edition. I also have a BSoD issue that won't go away.

Recently I was infected with a some spyware/malware and was on another forum called the bleeping computer, and was advised to uninstall and reinstall Java. I did that, and then the next night I got the error message:

STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\config\software
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complet.
Contact you system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

I cannot boot my computer in safe mode, I tried last known good configuration, but nothing worked.

Then I tried to do the repair outlined in the sticky, but after the End User License Agreement I got this message:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.
*To set up Windows XP on the selected item press ENTER.
*To create a partition in the unpartitioned space press C.
*To delete the selected partition press D.

74882 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR] (zoki4710 - the 0 had slashes through them which I think means zero)
--: Partition1 [FAT] 47 MB < 39 MB Free >
C: Partition2 [NTFS] 52462 MB < 10240 MB Free >
D: Partition3 <Backup> [NTFS] 17610 MB < 17508 MB Free >
F: Partition4 [FAT32] 4754 MB < 730 MB Free >

ENTER = Install D=Delete Partition F3=Quit

...instead of the repair message. I think it is because I only have the disk that came with my computer.

I then tried to use the Recovery Console using the instructions on this page but I could not finish it because I didn't see anything about RP in the dir.

Please help. I have a lot of important documents that I was too stupid to back up and I would really like to keep them. Even if my only option is to put my hard drive into another computer and reinstall Windows XP I just want my computer back.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
First thing to try is boot off the XP CD and get to the Recovery Console by pressing R on the first screen.
If prompted, you'll need to press 1 (or whatever number it gives you) for C:\Windows, prese Enter and enter any password you may have set. If blank, just press Enter.

Then type "chkdsk /p /r" and press Enter. Let the computer do some stuff.
If you see a message that features the word "unrecoverable", you need a new hard drive before you do anything else.
If you get to "chkdsk has finished checking the drive", you should then type Exit, to restart the computer and try a Windows repair again.

Zoki

Zoki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I got:

CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume.
53721356 kilobytes total disk space.
10486564 kilobytes are available.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
13430339 total allocation units on disk.
2621641 allocation units available on disk.

Do repair again?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you run CHKDSK the first time and it fixes errors, try loading Windows again normally.
If it fails to load normally, you should be able to perform a Windows Repair on it - that is, you should see a screen with a repair option before a screen with a bunch of partitions on it. If not, do CHKDSK again and then reboot, then go to do a repair.