Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MP3 Storage

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
If I store some MP3s on my website, to listen to when I'm at school, etc.. will I get sued/fined by the RIAA or arrested, or will I get a cease & decist/warning first?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
As long as it is copyrighted material and you do not have a release to have it on your web site, the RIAA will more then likely send you a letter of their intentions. The way they are suing college kids for downloading music (average payment is around $3000) I wouldn't take the chance.

Ron

BirdieUK

BirdieUK

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
My advice would probably to password protect it or something so only you can access it or find it.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Ah, good idea.

Thanks.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
How do these sites like imeem.com get away with it? Also, how come RapidShare don't get sued when people upload illegal stuff on it?

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Don't know about that first one, but as long as RapidShare complies with any DMCA takedown notices they get, they will be fine.

-Ryan