Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sometimes XP fails to load...

• Please log in to reply

SpectreUK

SpectreUK

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

I recently just gave the inside of my comp a good clean out, using an air duster to get rid of the vast amount of dust in there. Since then, occasionally on boot up, after all my hardware has been verified and stuff, XP fails to load and I get a black screen which is unresponsive. My computer is still on, the green power light on the case still being on and my monitor is active (not in standby etc). When this happened the first time I just restarted, and then it happened again. Then after another restart XP loaded and everything is normal again... I also recently installed new nVidia 7 series drivers for my GFX card, but this was after it happened the first time so may not be relevant.

Anyone got any ideas, if you need anymore info just ask, thanks,

Dan

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
After having the case open and the cleaning, I would detach all power to the unit, and reseat your cards and ram. Also make sure that all the screws holding in the Power supply and mobo are tight. After reseating all the hardware and checking everything and it happens again, let us know.

SpectreUK

SpectreUK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok will do that now and see if it fixes it :whistling:

SpectreUK

SpectreUK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I reseated everything and made sure all leads and cables etc were plugged in tight and everything secure, started it up and bam, didn't load first time, but then after restarting it it did work... any ideas?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Is it going through the BIOS and posting but then failing or does it not even look like the BIOS is coming up right?

SpectreUK

SpectreUK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah it comes up exactly as normal saying things like "detecting memory" and all my disc drives etc and says ok, then goes to another screen with text which I'm not so sure about what it means, then that disappears and when the windows xp loading screen should come up nothing happens

SpectreUK

SpectreUK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Any ideas what might be causing it?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Do you have the install disk? I would run the repair on it.

SpectreUK

SpectreUK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It seems to have stopped doing it now, after I removed a memory card reader with a Memory Stick Duo in it, thought it might be interfering, if it does do it again I will run the repair and post result.