Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp installation screen begins and goes back to bios.

• Please log in to reply

orwell

orwell

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have a old dell that I'm trying to set up for a family member after it spent a bit of time in storage. I cleaned it out, made sure everything is plugged in, It's a 2ghz intel processor, 230v PSU, the xp home disc I'm trying to install has SP1 on it, and it appears to just be the installation disc, not a recovery one. I've done this a couple times on this computer, with new and old drives. The current drive is a brand new 320 gb drive that IDE diagnostics reads as fine. Bios is the latest version for the chipset. So anyways, I put the disc in, and tell it to load up via the IDE cd drive. At that point, it will go the blue screen and start loading all the processes, and then will do it's thing until I get to the "Loading windows" information bar at the bottom, at which point it goes into back to the bios. It'll go back there and restart this entire thing any time between when it first starts to load from the cd, to the f8 I agree blah blah blah. I can't think of any changes that wouldn't make this work, except for a LCD monitor that has both the blue and DVI plugins, both supported on the video card. No problems there. Could it be because I have both cords coming out of the monitor while only one connects to a computer? I seriously doubt it.

No errors, and when I try a second disc of xp for my latest computer, it gets to the starting to load up the cd and goes to bios. I've tried using both cd trays, to no effect. Checked all the wires. HDD is configred as a single at the master port of the IDE cable. And it worked fine last year when it was my main computer, and last time I installed a new HDD after the old one failed, I didn't have any problems.

I was also trying to install a adapter SATA card with two additional sata drives, with those plugged in and the floppy installation in, and when their out, I've noticed no real difference, because there's no specific, reset to bios point. At some point it just does it.

Perhaps take the IDE drive, and trying setting it up on another computer? Seems a little extreme, but it's not a invalid option.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Try to move the hard disk to another computer, format it there, connect again to your computer and try the installation.

2: Remove the sata card.

3: Jumper the HD either as cable select, single or master. Try each option, making sure that the disk is connected to the end connector of the flat cable. If there are no notches on the connectors that prevent wrong installation, double check that the cable is correctly attached.

4: If you still do not succeed try to connect the disk to another computer as a single disk and perform the installation there. Take the disk back to your computer and perform a repair installation. A link in my signature will lead you to a user guide of xp repair installation.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

the xp home disc I'm trying to install has SP1 on it, and it appears to just be the installation disc,

does this disk have a hologam on it..

orwell

orwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
No it doesn't. I'm pretty sure it's legit though, because I bought it in 2000, and it came straight from Dell, so unless they're involved in that scam that got busted a while back, I'm safe.

I did eventually find the problem. I was told that when running 500 gb hdd's, it's better to have a stronger power suppy. I set mine to the second setting, 230V, instead of 120V, and when I tried to start it with completely removing the drives, power adapters, everything, it wouldn't even start. Setting it back to 120V, and it ran fine. Thanks for the suggestions though.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

No it doesn't. I'm pretty sure it's legit though, because I bought it in 2000, and it came straight from Dell,

Thats a OEM RECOVERY DISK ...most will only install on the computer that it came with...its tied to the hardware on the computer it came on..

I did eventually find the problem.

is everything good now

I was told that when running 500 gb hdd's, it's better to have a stronger power suppy

that may be true that your PSU is under powered

I set mine to the second setting, 230V, instead of 120V,

how did you expect to get 230V out of a 110V socket...