Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer got really slow

• Please log in to reply

Krayze

Krayze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I used to use a cable modem, and my download speed was around 250 kb/s. It's not the best but I was happy with this speed, I switched to at&t and got there modem and now my speed is only around 75 kb/s. It's the same computer, and they both use modems, but should my speed really switch this much? I let my little sister use my computer for a bit, but I deleted a lot of unnecessary programs she downloaded but it's still slow. I download stuff a lot, but I deleted most of it.

These are the programs thats open when I clicked ctrl+alt+del, maybe these are slowing them? I don't recognize most of them so maybe someone can tell me how to remove some?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, i didn't know where to put it, if anyone can help me thanks.

Advertisements

Teddie1

Teddie1

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
First of all what internet package did you get when you switched ISP's ? This sounds like a case of your ISP is just crud which is why you stick to a good one when you have one :whistling:. From the screenshot's you have posted you use Zone Labs firewall and iTunes. You also have AIM possibly Triton version and you have some connection with AOL i imagine that's AT&T same company i think. Is it your download speed that is affected ? run a speed test here and post back results.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Which package did you get? They offer four packages, and are now starting to offer a fifth economy package. The most expensive is about as fast as cable at $35, the next at $20 is about 150, the next as $15 is about 75, and so on. DSL traffic isn't as fast as cable but it is more dependable and can be a lot cheaper.

Krayze

Krayze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Which package did you get? They offer four packages, and are now starting to offer a fifth economy package. The most expensive is about as fast as cable at $35, the next at $20 is about 150, the next as $15 is about 75, and so on. DSL traffic isn't as fast as cable but it is more dependable and can be a lot cheaper.

Oh.. The lady didn't give any choices when I called, I'll call them back in the morning to see which plan i got so i can upgrade. Thanks for the help.

Krayze

Krayze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Oh.. The lady didn't give any choices when I called, I'll call them back in the morning to see which plan i got so i can upgrade. Thanks for the help.

Krayze

Krayze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts