Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is off but still on?

• Please log in to reply

Lorddias

Lorddias

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Last night my pc randomly shut off, it didnt bsod, it didnt freeze for a second, the screen on my monitor just went black and the power button on my monitor went from green to yellow. However, my pc was still on. The power was still on, because I could see the light on the motherboard, as well as the fan was spinning. So I wondered "What the heck happened" so I unplugged it, plugged it back it, repeated that, and eventually it came back on. and rebooted up. so I went on my way. When I woke up this morning, I went to turn my pc on, same thing. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and it came on, but this time something was weird, the entire screen had a blue tint to it, and wiggling around the monitor cord connected into the graphics card fixed that, I thought "oh man.. this sucks". So things were fine, my pc ran fine all day, til just a few minutes ago, the same thing happened as last night.. but it wouldnt turn back on. after about 5 minutes of trying I layed on my bed and thought oh man Im screwed, I dont got enough money to buy another computer.. I checked everything, made sure everything was connected, but no good. so after laying around for a bit I plugged it back in and it came on! I was happy. after about 10 minutes of it being on, it blacked out again. and this time it took an hour before it would come back on.. I have no idea whatsoever what is going on. At first I thought its my power supply not givin enough enough for some reason, then I thought something might have been overheating.. but my Motherboard is idling at 30C and my cpu at 35C. Next time it does it Im busting out my other monitor, to see if it is my monitor. But.. in the meantime.. does anyone have any ideas on what may be wrong? so far its been running fine for about 20 minutes..

Advertisements

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Sounds like you are having PSU issues. What grahpics card do you have and what rating is your PSU?

Lorddias

Lorddias

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
300 Watt psu, and my graphics card is an old Geforce 4 MX 440

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
How old is the system? I got a feeling its teh PSU. There could be a voltage drop pn one of your rails.

Lorddias

Lorddias

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well it isnt really that old, because it was built out of parts from other computers, but the parts that were tooken are pretty old, but I honestly dont know how old the psu is, since I took it out of a pc my half brother gave me.. it could be quite old. But I do have another 300 Watt psu in the closet in another pc I got.. if it happens again Ill change the psu and see how things go.. man I really gotta stop being lazy and get a job and just build a new computer..

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
I think you should try change the PSU and maybe buy another better one. they are not expensive and you will definatly know it works!

but lets us know how the 2nd supply goes!

Lorddias

Lorddias

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well, I finally fixed it. It wasnt the psu. my brother brought his 500 watt psu and it didnt work. I was playing around with the bios jumper, and I managed to get into the bios. I set everything to defaults and turned off the quickboot or whatever so it would load the ram slowly. So I saved that, turned it off, set the bios jumper to normal, and it booted up. The bios though told me I had to set the CMOS time, so I did, and restarted, and it finally loaded. I have no idea why my bios randomly went haywire, but this ones solved, for now I guess.