Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Duplicate Photos

• Please log in to reply

beethoven

beethoven

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I have at least two programs, here I'm thinking of SolSuite (Solitaire) and Webshots, that have the capability of using photos on my computer. When I add them into the program though they COPY the photo into their own special folders, using double, or now triple, the hard drive space. Which is bad! I'd like a solution so I could put 1000 into each without having 2000 duplicates. Is there a way in Windows, for example, for one file to "exist" in three places at once? Sorry if this is unclear; feel free to ask for clarification.

Advertisements

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Are you using the other programs for editing? I have several editing programs on my computer, all my photos are in my Pictures file. I open "My Pictures" then right click each photo to "Open With" and then edit as needed, and it does not copy every picture into each application.

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I take it that you are not familiar with Webshots. Short answer is no. I just have some programs, these two were the first to come to mind though I think there are others, that can use photos for various purposes. They don't edit the photos. Webshots allows them to be used as part of a screen saver and as backgrounds (No, I don't want to use the built-in ways Windows does wallpaper and screen savers), and SolSuite uses them as custom card decks. I can't just run the files directly out of the My Pictures folder for this reason. I never actually open up the file typically. The problem is that these and other programs copy the photos into their own special folders (in another part of My Documents or in Application Data) to be used.