Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

applications needed after re-formatting a laptop

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have an old gateway laptop, i want to wipe the hard drive, but i don't have the disks that came with it other than the operating system.

how can i tell what programs are needed for the laptop to run properly? and is there a way to get these off the laptop, or download the programs from somewhere?

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If the XP installation CD you have was supplied specifically for that laptop (that is, a "recovery" CD supplied by and labelled as a 'Gateway' disc, then it will install Windows plus all the device drivers required to allow your laptop to work properly. If, however, the CD is a Microsoft one not specific to your laptop (like a retail XP CD you can buy in a computer store for installing on any PC) then you will probably find that after it's installed some device drivers specific to your laptop will be missing. You can usually download these missing drivers from the Gateway website provided you know the exact model of your laptop.

As for third-party applications which aren't included with Windows, again these should be restored automatically if your CD is a Gateway-branded recovery disc. If they aren't on the CD you cannot simply 'copy' those applications to another location in order to restore them to your fresh installation of Windows.